Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Shamrock

Historical Research Help Needed

I am writing a scene where a pageant takes place to celebrate the bi-century of Sphinx. The imaginary date is May  1812. I will need to describe some of the  men's and women's fashion for the day in the scene.  Sphinx, is located in TN.  Can anyone point me towards some sites to view. I have googled but got little. What has come up has been French or English fashion despite my stating it is American fashion I am looking for.  Thanks

I may be wrong, but I think the most stylish people of the time would be essentially wearing British or French fashions even if they lived in the States. That's probably why you're not seeing much on unique American fashions. The country had been considered a sovereign nation for less than fifty years at that time, and even much later, wealthy people were still ordering their best clothes from Paris, or traveling there to get them.

But you know, Dramedy Writer might be the best one to ask, as her current novel is set around that period.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Shamrock said:

The imaginary date is May  1812. I will need to describe some of the  men's and women's fashion for the day in the scene.

Well, here's the thing. Fashion then didn't change near as much as it does today, and yes, a lot of it mirrored fashion overseas for the upper-class.

Try typing in "War of 1812 fashion". It looks like it resembles more of the Regency Era style of England.

You might be able to narrow your results that way.

You could also take a look at online reenactment retailors like this one:

https://www.smoke-fire.com/product-category/clothing/war-of-1812-clothing/

They take a lot of care to make sure everything is accurate.

Hope that helps!

Edited by RockyMtn Gal

America, especially on the frontier (which TN kind of still was) was also be behind the times. Still is. My hometown in the sticks was always 5-10 years behind the fashions of the times growing up.

Thanks every one. I googled 1812 and got French & English fashion so I am not surprised. In a away that makes it easier for me.

And come to think of it, I'm not sure how much access to super historically-accurate fashions the folks in the little town of Sphinx would have, anyway. Just so you're clear that what your characters are wearing is from way-back-when, you'll be fine.

That's my thinking but there is alway some smarty pants who spot an error if I don't give some detail. Just enough to sound intelligent. That' my strategy.