Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
zx1ninja

Beware the snakes!

A warning for caution if I may.

In registering with several "reviewer" websites, Goodreads, BookBub and the like with the goal of trying to get reviews to bolster sales, I suddenly began receiving unsolicited emails. Four to be exact at this point. Two requested a book file (epub,mobi), one wanted to talk in private because "she" couldn't navigate my author webpage (the menu is in the top right of ALL pages). And the last just sent this;

Hi,

I am a 23 year old student of English literature. I love reading new and exciting books from all genres. If you want to get your book reviews, please contact me.

Regards,

This doesn't look right. Point being is that we all need to be careful in responding to the emails we get in trying to get our books out there, especially those like myself doing it for the first time. I've decided to take the position to NOT respond unless they're asking for a book file. I get in enough trouble on my own when I brush the edge or step off the side of the path with one foot and then beat myself up while I get back on the path, I don't want to jump off with both feet.

Be Careful!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I’ve found the same thing happening to me. In fact, I received that very same email.

To be safe, I just wouldn’t respond to anybody (unless it’s somebody you’ve already contacted about a review and you’re sending them the book file, or something like that.

Honestly, this bit isn’t very fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

So glad you're on guard, Z.

I am trying.

55 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

Hi,

I am a 23 year old student of English literature. I love reading new and exciting books from all genres. If you want to get your book reviews, please contact me.

Regards,

Student of English lit, indeed. 🙄

Most of these are attempts to get a copy of your eBook to pirate, or to sell you something. Or worse. 

57 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

I've decided to take the position to NOT respond unless they're asking for a book file.

A very wise strategy, but I'd even be careful about those who ask for a book file. Make sure they're prolific reviewers on Goodreads, and don't dole out one-stars like popcorn. There are some nasty people who enjoy taking authors down.   

• Thanks 5

1 minute ago, Accord64 said:

A very wise strategy, but I'd even be careful about those who ask for a book file. Make sure they're prolific reviewers on Goodreads, and don't dole out one-stars like popcorn. There are some nasty people who enjoy taking authors down.

That's a good suggestion.

11 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

That's a good suggestion.

So far, I've used the Indie View site, as I previously mentioned, to request reviews. I figured that if any given reviewer is on a curated list of book bloggers/reviewers, while they may not always give positive reviews, at least they're not likely to be scam artists...

But, Z, I just realized if you had your book traditionally published, a lot of reviewers on that site may not be interested, as they prefer self-published.

Seems like we're at approximately the same point in this game; except you're probably a little ahead of me. It is inconceivable (and yes, the word does mean what I think it means) that anybody could be more of a novice than I.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If I'm ahead of you @Zee

it's not by much so I'd say we're on the same page.  maybe a couple paragraphs apart, but not much.

Edited by zx1ninja
  • Haha 1

I so appreciate the warning. I feel like I'm in over my head trying to find reputable reviewers (and Christian Fiction reviewers at that). I start beating myself up because I have lofty goals on a ramen budget. I have been so encouraged reading these posts.