OK, I am sure we all have our own heart-rendering story of having to ditch scenes we have written. So  I am interested to know how people cope with it and why they felt they had to ditch the scene.

I'll go first.

This is very recent. In fact today I was working on the plot line for the 2nd part of Granny Annie. I had in mind to have the scene of Cora being reunited with her loved one in a 'heaven'.   (I posted a while back)

It is going to have to go - because I want to bring things full circle with the end back to Demons.  I won't tell what I have done, but I have drafted a different ending which is going to more suitable but Oh, it hurts😢

I've had to axe characters, and am going to have to cut another one out of Tokens of Wrath. The way I cope with it is generally by realizing that it's better for the story if the scene or character goes. I also console myself by knowing that I can always recycle the character or scene into another story. 

But yes, it hurts

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

May they rest in peace, Sarah. 

Hey, wait, maybe you can resurrect them in the next novel!!

That's a good idea. I actually ended up merging two of the characters into one. Need to deal with the rest soon.

• Like 1

This thread reminds me of this:

Psalm 22:20

Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.

Psalm 35:17

Lord, how long wilt thou look on? rescue my soul from their destructions, my darling from the lions.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

I axed a female character and supporting character romance from my first story. There was just too much going on, and I needed to trim the word count. The character who lost his girlfriend will be united with her in book 2. 🙂 

I axed a another female character from the manuscript I just completed a few months ago. I had given my heroine two sisters as her historical inspiration had, and decided that could combine the role of the two sisters into one. 

I deal with cutting the scenes I like by putting them in a “Cut Scenes” file. Those files are huge. I even have a giant three-ring-binder chock full of printed scenes. But who has the time to go through old scenes? So I comfort myself by saving them.

Edited by Dramedy Writer80
5 hours ago, Shamrock said:

OK, I am sure we all have our own heart-rendering story of having to ditch scenes we have written. So  I am interested to know how people cope with it and why they felt they had to ditch the scene.

Oh, boy. 

494434858_giphy(10).gif.13d89b3d64f99628a6f650307b2d3021.gif

**pauses to collect himself**

I released my first novel a little too soon. It was a 130,000 word sci-fi epic. The trouble was it started too slow. I made a classic rookie mistake - Info dump after info dump to set up my world. Some of it was really good stuff, kinda prophetic in a lot of ways. But it had to go.

The leaner, meaner, revised version comes in at 113,000 words. I cut 17,000 words😲😲

The result is far better story pacing. Glad I did it.  

2 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

Then there is the other side of the coin--adding meaningful stuff to bring the word count up to a more acceptable number. The key word there, of course, is "meaningful."

You mean not making it look like you intentionally, obviously, non-stealthily, transparently, patently padded your word count?   Nah, never had that problem. 😏

• Haha 2

I wrote an achingly beautiful scene which I had to kill because it removed the MacGuffin from the story and thus totally removed the Narrative Drive. I ultimately removed it because, while it was a very nice scene and had some vivid writing, it detracted from where my story needed to go and the novel was better off without it. It retains some utility  - I've saved it to give out to people who sign up on my author's website.

• Like 1