I need to get some good software to convert my Word.doc to e book form (mobi and epub. ) I tried the freeware Icecream, but it only converts a limited number of pages. I looked at another - not cheap - but it only lets me include 10 images and I have about 20 in my current book. My funds are limited and I can't afford to buy the wrong one. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Posted (edited)

There is a free one I just downloaded and used the other day. Calibre converted my word file (docx) to epub. It seemed to work well, but I did it in anticipation of needing to provide the file to a reviewer. Here's the link. https://calibre-ebook.com/

Just looked and I see that it will convert to mobi as well. I'll have to try it though. 

Edited by zx1ninja
Correction
  • Thanks 2

I'm not sure if Draft2Digital will provide exactly what you're looking for (don't know how they would handle images) but it's what I used to create my book, and they are free, too.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

There is a free one I just downloaded and used the other day. Calibre converted my word file (docx) to epub. It seemed to work well, but I did it in anticipation of needing to provide the file to a reviewer. Here's the link. https://calibre-ebook.com/

Just looked and I see that it will convert to mobi as well. I'll have to try it though. 

I've used this. It is an open source program which means it is free. It does work to convert and read epub.

• Like 1

I got Calibre last night. Fair warning to those considering it: pay attention to the ebook designation when googling it. Calibre is a word processing program costing $15000. The ebook program is free. However, although it can do dome conversion, it is primarily a book management program. I don't need that aspect, but being able to convert the kindle and Nook versions back and forth promises to be helpful.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sibermom65 said:

Calibre is a word processing program costing $15000.

I've used the same Calibre @zx1ninja linked to for over 10 years and never heard of it being for sale, let alone for that price. Are you sure you weren't looking at something else?

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

If you google "how much is calibre," you get the $15,000 answer.

Ah, I get it. It's talking about a different and unrelated Calibre. This is the $15,000 one. The one for ebooks is free.