Author Chris Fox recommends a sacred space for writing.  J. D. Salinger took it to extremes, of course, having a bunker where he would go to privately write.  So annoying was this habit that his wife divorced him!  This is what he has to say about it in "Write 5,000 Words per Hour"

"The first thing the defines your sacred space are physical boundaries.  This means walling yourself off from any and all interruptions for the duration of your writing sprint.  Turn off your email notifications... if you live with other people tell them you'll be writing and can't be disturbed..."

So my question is this- does that work for you?

18 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

"The first thing the defines your sacred space are physical boundaries.  This means walling yourself off from any and all interruptions for the duration of your writing sprint.  Turn off your email notifications... if you live with other people tell them you'll be writing and can't be disturbed..."

So my question is this- does that work for you?

How does it work for me?

Laugh1.gif.6893bd908ce7b83e9f332948b518391f.gif

Sorry, I found that very funny because there's no way I can do that and survive the attempt. 😉

I can see why his marriage imploded.

But seriously, the best I can do is to carve out a little time here and there. I suppose it would be easier if I was already a best-selling author who was rich enough to build my own writing shed. 

Posted (edited)

I would urge a different take on 'the sacred space' being a state if mind.

I work from home (vicarage). I have developed a mindset that 3enables me to write and separate my 'work". 

Edited by Shamrock
spelling
58 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

But seriously, the best I can do is to carve out a little time here and there. I suppose it would be easier if I was already a best-selling author who was rich enough to build my own writing shed. 

You know, I can see why, too!

LOL You would fall down laughing, too, if you saw me in my "writing space." I sit sideways and cross-legged on my couch! (Hence, my newsletter's title: Letters from the Couch!) :D I used to write in what we called the computer room when I had a desktop but I didn't like being shut away. Since there are no littles in our house, hubs knows when not to disturb me. LOL Well, most of the time! ;) Our second son and his fiancee are living in our basement but they're never a bother. So, I couch it! :D

• Haha 1

With my husband being a news junkie, the TV is always on, blaring the latest repetition of "news". sound canceling headphones in the back room have helped, but I'm creating a new solution. I am refinishing a shed we brought in to be my writing studio. Now that it is starting to warm up, I can finish the interior painting and get the flooring down, then it's a matter of hauling in the bookshelves. books and other stuff. I'l move my computer over there and keep my laptop in the house for non-writing stuff.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

if you live with other people tell them you'll be writing and can't be disturbed..."

This is what is difficult for me. About the time I get ready to do some serious writing, Hubby finds something that he thinks I need to watch on television. Or he wants to talk about something he thinks is important. 

1 minute ago, suspensewriter said:

Oh, that's too funny, Alley!

Yours are out of the house. I still can't go to the bathroom without someone yelling, "mama!!!!!!, " on the other side of the door. 🙄 😄 😋 

A friend of mine used to have four dogs: two Corgis and two larger mixed breeds. She taught them all to do tricks: roll over, shake hands, sneeze, bow, and I don't remember what all else. And she kept the treats in the bathroom. So ... as soon as anyone sat down on the throne, if they had not closed the door carefully, they were quickly surrounded by four rolling-over, hand-shaking, sneezing, bowing, and whatevering dogs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2