Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

On 5/13/2020 at 6:55 PM, PenName said:

Characters would just come barreling out of my subconscious and run laps in my brain and playact their scenes until I would write it down. Only then would they be quiet. 😅

On 5/11/2020 at 7:44 AM, zx1ninja said:

Mine sounds cliche even to me. Because of a dream that would recure and bother me until I started writing it down. 

That sums my why too.  Since I started, I have discovered that writers are special people who see the world more deeply than non writers. They are also more compassionate and attuned to human longings.  I like belonging to their tribe!  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, WanderingTiger said:

I've noticed that a well placed word/quote/story etc. have the ability to really impact people at the heart level

Well said. 

7 hours ago, Nicola said:

I have discovered that writers are special people who see the world more deeply than non writers

This is very true

I will be honest. I use to despise reading and writing! When I met Jesus Christ, and my life started to change, my habits started to change as well. I developed a love for reading very quickly, because I found Jesus, and was learning more and more about Him with each page. It is like we were sitting at a coffee shop across the table from each other just getting to know each other. I can share things on paper that I may sometimes not be comfortable sharing verbally! I can express myself in a totally different way with writing. My imagination can take total control and take me anywhere while I am in Microsoft Word :). Also, I like to share the Gospel through my writing. That is the main purpose! I can share stories throughout my life that no one knows, and as soon as they read it - they are like, "Hey, that is me!" Drugs and alcohol use to be my escape, but writing kinda is now. Thanks for letting me share. 

• Like 2

There's a quote by Frederick Buechner that says "The place where God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet."

Another quote from St. Irenaeus that says "The glory of God is in [His] man fully alive."

My "X marks the spot" is that place of fulfilling a call that God has put on my heart. The fulfillment of that calling is a place that will bring me joy and will meet some need that God has identified that needs to be filled.

I write to be obedient and because it brings my heart joy- and me being obedient brings the Father joy.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jellicochris said:

I can share things on paper that I may sometimes not be comfortable sharing verbally! I can express myself in a totally different way with writing. My imagination can take total control and take me anywhere while I am in Microsoft Word :). Also, I like to share the Gospel through my writing.

Yup! Being an introvert, I know this all too well. ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Joshua Benefiel said:

There's a quote by Frederick Buechner that says "The place where God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet."

I love this quote, Joshua. Thank you! I'll have to make a graphic with this. :D

16 minutes ago, Joshua Benefiel said:

I write to be obedient and because it brings my heart joy- and me being obedient brings the Father joy.

Exactly! :D

• Like 1

When I saw this, I thought it was going to be something from Simon Sinek. His talk on "Start with Why" (in addition to Michael Jr.'s "Know your Why") inspired me to create a mission statement for my life. Part of my mission statement is to learn and create with joy. This connects pretty clearly with writing.

In addition, I read a comment on a blog one time in which the commenter said, "Our goal in any relationship is to love the person well." This is my prayer every time I sit down to write, that I would love my readers well. For me, loving my readers means that I share with them what God is teaching me and pray that God uses the stories He's given me to glorify Himself.

More specifically, one of the things I could rant about for hours is how single people are treated both in the real-life church and in fiction. The mission statement of the book I'm currently writing could be to love my readers by writing a story in which singleness is valued the way Christ values it.

• Like 1

Took me a while to reply - I actually had to think!

I've always enjoyed teaching people; high school/college tutor, pilot instructor, high school teacher, college professor. I hope my books are a way to teach people.

My first book, The Losing Attitude for Dieters, taught people that losing weight was simple - burn off more calories than you eat. It also taught that dieting was really hard because it was a mental game - basically, it didn't matter what diet you tried, you had to get mentally ready to lose - the Losing Attitude.

My second book, Conquer the Losing Attitude of Job Hunters, prepared people to find and get a job. I have helped a lot of people to find jobs.

My next three books in my Hating God Trilogy will hopefully help at least one person to set aside their hate for God and allow this person to be Saved!

I write to teach.

• Like 1

I write to obey the call the Lord placed on my life and to go all the places I imagine in my head, have all the jobs, and to have the chance to explore hard topics in fiction - where I and my readers can more easily learn and grow because we don't feel so called out.

• Like 1