Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Johne

other [TBG] Enter The Storm

https://silentvanitye.com/enter-the-storm/

image.png.f0f49e60c205f91aaa5fa820cf9f7d87.png

I’ve been stalled trying to convert my old first chapter into a much shorter prologue at my editor’s suggestion—I couldn’t quite see the scene. I knew I wanted to cut the scene by 2/3s and change from First Person to Third Person, but prologues are tricky at best and I’ve been looking for that little hook to find my ‘in’ to this revised scene.

I found my hook this morning, and it’s no surprise the thing that pushed me over the edge was music.

I get my best ideas when I first wake up, or in the shower. I had a minor epiphany this morning when I woke up and the idea fleshed itself out as I was in the shower.

When I’m writing, I try to pick music which fits the mood of the moment as I work, and on a whim, I played the music from the DRACULA score by John Williams. It’s moody and brassy and melancholy in the best Gothic fashion, and that caused something else to fire in my head.

The music in this score always make me think of storms, and that thought led to an idea. What if a terrible storm hit Rhonesgard the night Clay is created, as if Nature herself was fighting the process used in the animation of golems?

One of the surprising things I learned while researching golems is that Frankenstein’s monster is a kind of golem. You can see where I’m going with this—terrible storm, animating a previously lifeless shell, Gothic mood and music…

And viola!, I could see the revised scene in my head. I have my prologue hook.

So, you know, #amwriting

• Like 2

The music in this Dracula score does sound like storms. Glad to hear it gave you a boost! I have listened to this score twice now, I guess it is addicting!😃 

1 hour ago, jonjovi said:

I have listened to this score twice now, I guess it is addicting!😃 

I like this movie because it's a kind of classic Hollywood monster movie in the old style, more about Gothic style than graphic horror. And this is a classic John Williams kind of score, with easily embraced sonic themes and a soaring orchestral style. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.