Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

On 5/10/2020 at 4:30 PM, zx1ninja said:

Me neither, trudging through one at a time

Finding the majority will review and post those for free if you give them a free copy and it has a minimum of 3 to 5 reviews already. Pretty tough when that's the goal in the first place to get reviews. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dramedy Writer80 said:

His platform is YouTube, correct? Are there any videos you would recommend in particular?

He does have a few on marketing and such. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zx1ninja said:

Finding the majority will review and post those for free if you give them a free copy and it has a minimum of 3 to 5 reviews already. Pretty tough when that's the goal in the first place to get reviews. 

That is pretty touch, all right.  But you've got to stick it out!

18 hours ago, Dramedy Writer80 said:

This Chris Fox guy sounds interesting. I’ll have to look him up.

As @suspensewriter says, his 5,000 Words Per Hour and Write to Market books are great. I think 5,000 WPH is actually free on his website. You'll have to sign up for his mailing list to get it, but his newsletter is great. I have his whole series of books for writers and have learned so much from them. He's got a great and humble attitude.

About the reader profile, I go about mine differently. Instead of thinking in terms of demographics, I picture the kinds of stories my ideal reader wants to read, and what they want to get out of reading them. My ideal reader is looking for realistic romance with relatable characters that deal with issues that resonate. My reader wants to be entertained with a good story while having their faith encouraged and their spirits edified. They want stories that show God's grace and provision work out even in a flawed world with flawed humans.

My reader description cuts across typical demographics of age, profession, hobbies, etc and instead tries to get at what they're looking for in a story.

Thanks for sharing, @suspensewriter!

• Like 3

On 5/12/2020 at 7:29 AM, EBraten said:

My ideal reader is looking for realistic romance with relatable characters that deal with issues that resonate. My reader wants to be entertained with a good story while having their faith encouraged and their spirits edified. They want stories that show God's grace and provision work out even in a flawed world with flawed humans.

I think you've got them pegged pretty well,  @EBraten!

• Like 2

My trouble is that my short stories tend to be talking animals (children's stories), but my books (all two of them) are very different. One is on the Oregon Trail in 1866, and the other is (I just declared it to be) a modern Western romance. Not going to have the same audience.

I learnt my lesson when I self-published Natural Talent.  If you don't sort out a robust marketing plan and put the time in, you won't sell. Unfortunately, at the time life was difficult and I needed to focus on my family and work.

For this reason I am concentrating on getting the Sphinx trilogy done before I think about publishing and I want to try the traditional route first. However, I have got an author website under construction so that when I do get going I can do live with it.

Thank you @suspendwriter - that would be great. It is available on Kindle & Amazon or I can send you a PDF version or a hardback copy. Just let me know which you prefer.

The website is pretty basic at the moment. I as I said I am concentrating on my writing for the moment. When Granny Annie 1st draft is completed then and the market starts moving I will look more closely at a marketing plan.

I'm curious...what do most people's "marketing plans" look like, anyway?

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

You might try Joanna Penn's blog

Thanks, @suspensewriter! I've visited The Creative Penn before but hadn't seen or had forgotten about this page. It's so much more relevant now that I've actually written books! 🙂 Another really solid marketing guy is Nicholas Erik. but I would recommend that anyone new should start with Joanna Penn

Edited by EBraten