• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a plotter and not a pantser. I tried starting out as a pantser because that was the only thing I knew. Then, I read a few craft books (best one was Anatomy of Story by Truby) and that really solid

This quote from David Morrell got me thinking:   "An idea for a story has taken control of you, and you're eager to put it on the page.  What happens next?  I've heard of (a) few occasions i

I'd say "no."   I think that's for the perpetually organized.   I find that, even when I'm writing code, I'm working with what I'm writing like a sculptor does clay or stone.  So

Posted Images

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 9:15 PM, Jeff Potts said:

I find that, even when I'm writing code, I'm working with what I'm writing like a sculptor does clay or stone.  Sometimes the end product is already there, but you need to work with it until you get what you want in the end.

I love this example of a sculptor. 

I usually have a vague idea about what's going to happen from beginning to end, but it isn't until I write the story that I become aware of the obstacles that stand in the way of my character's problems getting resolved.  It's like I'm learning with my characters. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I can't say for certain yet, being a fledgling and all, but I'm somewhere in between a plotter and pantser.

I sketch a loose outline, have a few solid scenes planned out ahead of time, but so far it's all linked with "off-the-cuff" threads.

I may have missed it @suspensewriter, but what where did you say you fall?

Edited by RockyMtn Gal
  • Like 1

Yes I tend to rewrite and edit as I go along. In theory my 1st draft is actual probably my 3rd.

With both Demons and Child of No One I did 9 drafts. The 1st being the rewrite one.

On 5/6/2020 at 12:17 PM, Claire Tucker said:

I generally start with a loose idea, maybe a few scenes that are fully formed. After a while it tends to start taking shape by itself, but I do need to make some conscious decisions as described in the quote shared. 

Interestingly, though, I do have to write the story to discover what it's really about, as in what the theme or takeaway is. 

@Claire Tucker, I think you and I are the same person, sometimes.😂 This is exactly me.

On 5/6/2020 at 3:53 PM, Thomas Davidsmeier said:

I'm a plotter and not a pantser. I tried starting out as a pantser because that was the only thing I knew. Then, I read a few craft books (best one was Anatomy of Story by Truby) and that really solidified me as a plotter.

I was a Discovery writer for years and years and turned up my nose at plotting and structure until I read The Story Grid, and that changed my writing life. I am still most comfortable Pantsing my first draft, but I consider myself more of a Plantser, a pantser who now values story structure. (And the Truby book is spectacular.)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Johne said:

I was a Discovery writer for years and years and turned up my nose at plotting and structure until I read The Story Grid, and that changed my writing life. I am still most comfortable Pantsing my first draft, but I consider myself more of a Plantser, a pantser who now values story structure. (And the Truby book is spectacular.)

How does Story Grid compare to Truby? I haven't read Story Grid yet...

Well, for one thing, it's cheaper!  It's a book that only costs $29.95.  The Story Grid, all kidding aside, is a complete system for editing your work.  You really should try it.  It's tremendously worthwhile.

2 hours ago, Joseph S. Roberts said:

I have a learning disability, ADD.

fwiw, I also have ADD. I use a variety of techniques to focus and stay engaged. 

• Like 1