Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Zee

I Changed My Mind...

When I first fixed on the idea of self-publishing, I thought I’d offer my stories for free; why not? I didn’t need the money and I love giving things away. 

Then coronavirus shot the economy full of holes, and my shui lost his job. He has another one now, so we’re not in financial crisis. I am thankful for that, but it means we can no longer support many of our friends and former colleagues who still work in parts of the world where we (for various reasons) can no longer be. 

I shed tears when calling to cancel those gifts and decided, never mind, I’m selling my book. And then I’m going to write more and sell them too. So we’ll see how this goes. I may never make a penny, but either way it’s going to be interesting.

• Like 6

It a good story and well written. You just need to get the marketing right and it will sell.

• Like 1

Perhaps so. It is very interesting timing; this often indicates "Somebody" was planning ahead, I find.

However, selling anything is not my area of expertise by any means. So we'll see...

• Like 1

You are mastering writing, you can surely master selling.  Study it.  I recommend Joanna Penn "How to Market Your Book,"  and Chris Fox series on the same.

God knows your heart. He will help you sell them and you'll be able to be remain a generous giver! 🧡

Selling can be the hardest part. Frankly, much worse books can do much better financially just because of better marketing. So, take this part seriously. I'm embarking on a more serious sales focus over this summer as my school isn't going to be offering summer school which I usually taught. Home improvement, writing and marketing, and playing with the kiddies. Sounds like a great summer to me...

Some do market the book free at first to get a following and maybe some reviews. I'm always looking at reviews so pushing to get them might be a good idea. Lot's of authors put something after the story to spur on people to review the book. It takes a lot of effort to move a heavy object, but once you get momentum it because easier to push.

Good thoughts, all. Thanks for the ideas.