Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
suspensewriter

Write Like the Masters

Posted (edited)

I've been reading a slender volume that I read before my stroke, entitled, "Write Like the Masters," by William Cane.  I forgot all of its teachings when I had my stroke, but I came upon this book in my shelves and I thought I would read it again, because today, like any other day, is a great day for learning.  It is a compilation of writings on how to use the rhetorical device of imitation to improve out writing, going through in detail the writing of twenty diverse writers and their style.  He has sampled such extremes as Balzac all the way to Edgar Rice Burroughs, Edith Wharton to Margaret Mitchell- truly a wonderful book, and I thought I'd share it to help you in your writing career.

Edited by suspensewriter
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, suspensewriter said:

Yes, Z.  I would highly recommend it.  Seriously.

I can use all the help I can get. Thanks SW

You may also find 

Reading Like a Writer - guide for people who love book and for those who want to write them by Francine Prose. 

This does a similar thing in examining the tools and tricks of writers such a Philip Roth, John le Carre, Isaac Babel, Charles Dickens & Emily Bronte.

I found it helpful and well as absorbing to read.

Trouble is that I have become a Kindle book fan, because you can search through text. And the Kindle version I just bought is the most expensive.

Thanks for the referral, SW.

How does all this mastery fit in with modern expectations?  I love long sentences with big words like the masters use, but I'm told the modern reader has a short attention span, doesn't like to have the dictionary handy, and wants to be immersed in the POV.  

The masters wrote for themselves, not the masses.  The rhetoric they pass down to us from learning Greek and Latin in school.  Thank you for sharing this resource so we can imitate them!

Posted (edited)

LOL- they're big on applying this to the modern world.  Besides, they don't go into Masters who are that old.  Believe me, if they did, I would fall asleep halfway through the book!

This book is written for the modern writer.  This gave me a good laugh, though Nicola, which I severely needed to day!!

Edited by suspensewriter

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

This gave me a good laugh, though Nicola, which I severely needed to day!!

I spent the morning weeping.  I listened to the Met Live Broadcast  and the music just got to me.  Lots of weeping needed. The music hit me like the true masters will.  Also the sorrow of the musicians not getting together, the profound efforts and sacrifices and genius to get them together anyway.  Will we be able to support the great arts in the future?

This afternoon, I read every meme posted in the General Discussion section here and laughed heartily.  Lots of laughing needed!  

I rejoice that you and I and the rest of our family here can laugh and weep together. 

On 4/24/2020 at 8:10 PM, suspensewriter said:

truly a wonderful book, and I thought I'd share it to help you in your writing career.

Thank you, SW, I just ordered it.