Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
PenName

Reading Your Old Writing

I've done that. All of them in succession ending with my head in my hands mumbling "why'd I write that"?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, and it kind of painful to look back at them.  😰😖

It's even painful to took back on some of my stories from just a few years, or months ago. 

Edited by Blue Minnow
  • Like 1

I'm gonna try to look in a different direction here...

I think that every day of our lives can be a day of growing, improving, and becoming something that we've never been before. That means if I look back at my old writing and don't see trash, it means I haven't grown. It means i haven't developed.

It means I've wasted the years that have passed since I wrote the piece.

Our time here is precious, and short; I don't want to waste a bit of it. If we are truly growing, then life will be one unending series of mid-course-corrections, and that's as it should be. There was once a time when I groaned at all kinds of things I'd said and done in the past. Now I prefer to celebrate how far I've come, and look ahead to how far I still might be able to go...

• Like 7

Ha! Love this! As writers, we are our own worst critics. But looking back at my old work helps me to see not only how I've grown as a writer but as a person as well. Just think, by the time we are joined with Jesus, all our writing will be perfect--no need to rewrite or edit! Where comma placement will no longer be the bane of my existence...

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Bringing this thread back to life for this gem:

Which Tony Stark(s) best describe your reaction when you read your old writing? 😬😂 Mine is 4 and 7.

tony face.jpg

Edited by PenName
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2020 at 9:17 AM, Wes B said:

Now I prefer to celebrate how far I've come, and look ahead to how far I still might be able to go...

Much better attitude to take than beating oneself up for what cannot be changed.

Edited by carolinamtne
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, PenName said:

Which Tony Stark(s) best describe your reaction when you read your old writing? 

Probably between 2, 4 and 8

• Haha 2

While I love the Tony Stark scale, some of my old work reaches up into the Shatner scale:

124906133_giphy(60).gif.d3e02cf11e46a52198a77714ec376d68.gif

But there are times when I read something I did and I find it hard to believe I wrote it:

1855111804_giphy(59).gif.f470548741f5236c249b3c61352c5343.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/16/2020 at 6:07 PM, PenName said:

Bringing this thread back to life for this gem:

Which Tony Stark(s) best describe your reaction when you read your old writing? 😬😂 Mine is 4 and 7.

I'm 1 and 4.

But I have to agree, while I shake my head at old things I've written, I see the journey in them. I see my writing before I believed in Jesus and I see the pain and the void. It is the written journey of my character arc and the old stuff often reminds me of many things to thank God for. And to keep writing, because it gets better with practice.

• Like 3

I look at my old stuff to recall what was that impetus I felt during that writing.   When I rediscover it (and there are always converging reasons), I can react in different ways:  consider it a matter for looking back in reflection or take some of that impetus and carry it forward.   We not only quote others; we start to quote ourselves, if only internally.

• Like 1