Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

As a first time author, I am excited and blessed that I sold 136 copies of my book, I Meant It for Good: A Memoir of Dreaming, Visualizing, and Becoming My Authentic Self, in the first two weeks. However, I do not have any customer reviews on Amazon and I know this will be a problem moving forward. I have read the marketing books, have pitched reviewers, and actually have a couple lined up, but I am uncertain as to how to really get the amount of reviews I need. Has anyone used a paid service to help them?  Any help would be appreciated.

No, please do not use a paid service. Amazon frowns very deep on this. Can also get you in trouble. Getting reviews is like pulling teeth. Right now, I can't think of anything helpful. Have a nasty headache. Will think on it. :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mary Rechkemmer-Meyer said:

Has anyone used a paid service to help them?

I have used Booksprout and Hidden Gems. These kinds of services, along with Netgalley and Voracious Readers Only, are within Amazon's rules, and I had one review from them posted as recently as this weekend.

They are paid services, but not in the sense that you pay reviewers to say nice things. You pay the company to post your book in front of its pool of reviewers. It's up to the reviewers to pick up your book. Just like any other readers, they'll choose it depending on whether it appeals to them, and they'll leave an honest review.

I'm only familiar with these services for fiction, so I'm not sure how effective they'd be for non-fiction. You could also look for Christian reader review groups on Facebook. I've had some benefit from those as well.

• Like 1

EB, thanks so much for that. What I was referring to was the paid reviews type. Not what you mentioned.

• Like 2