Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Zee

Cover Design Adventures...

Yesterday was a big cover design day. I threw out seven or eight cover designs, most lame, a few rather good (Lynn Moser even contributed an awesomely chaotic one to the pool) and finally, after lots of help and feedback, came up with one I really liked. But there’s a catch. It doesn’t look much like most other covers in the genre.

No idyllic scenery, no attractive couple smiling at each other, no cowboy tilting his Stetson this way or that way, so it’s probably not going to be one romance readers are immediately drawn to. It reflects the story content, but not the genre conventions, if that makes sense. Still, at the moment, I’m inclined to just roll with it and see what happens.

Now I’m curious about other people’s cover designing adventures. I’d love to see some of your covers, whether you designed them yourselves or had them done.

What kind of cover catches your eye, regardless of genre?

If you did your own, did you find creative/artistic impulses clashing with genre conventions?

I’m interested in any and all thoughts on the topic.

Thank you for the kind words, sweetie. It was just an idea. Not done all that well. But I'm going to go back and repeat myself: those who read romance novels look for that certain type of cover. They know what genre they are getting. They expect it. To go outside the box on this is rather risky. You have to think of what readers want.

I was to have a book published but the company closed. Here's the cover the designer did for me. I was going to publish it myself but it just didn't work out. Long story.

image.png.b7e913c733f696d44b773235d2d4f96a.png

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Thank you for the kind words, sweetie. It was just an idea. Not done all that well. But I'm going to go back and repeat myself: those who read romance novels look for that certain type of cover. They know what genre they are getting. They expect it. To go outside the box on this is rather risky. You have to think of what readers want.

I was to have a book published but the company closed. Here's the cover the designer did for me. I was going to publish it myself but it just didn't work out. Long story.

image.png.b7e913c733f696d44b773235d2d4f96a.png

I really like it! Simple, but elegant. 

After further research (i.e., scrolling through ebook covers on Amazon) I think my cover actually looks more like some in the Young Adult section. Maybe this means my artistic taste is juvenile. Or maybe that’s an indication of where my book should go?

My sister has done a lot of her own cover designs using different apps and things... If you want to look at some of hers, here's a link...

https://www.amazon.com/Sara-Nicole/e/B00HKQQ93Y%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

I have some ideas for covers, but none of them really fit my novel... i'm glad you were able to find a cover you like for your book. I know I'm going to have a very difficult time thinking of a cover for my novel once it's ready (which, thankfully or not, is probably still a long way off...) 

• Like 1

I commissioned professional cover designers for my series. My intention was to hit readers with a two-by-four so there's no mistaking what genre these stories are. I've also got a bunch of premade covers that I plan to use for short stories. They were also done by pro designers.

fftf_pptp_llil_spring_background.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

Here's the cover the designer did for me.

I like your cover, Lynn! Hope you'll get to use it one day.

Awww, thank you, EB! I'm afraid it's dead and buried with a tombstone reading "Nevermore!" LOL It's been torn apart and the chapters used for blog posts. I did several years of research on the ancient Hebrew/Jewish betrothal tradition/custom. Much of which is still in use today. Ahhh, but that's in the past now. :rolleyes:

*I really need to read before I hit reply! o_O

20 minutes ago, EBraten said:

23 minutes ago, EBraten said:

I commissioned professional cover designers for my series. My intention was to hit readers with a two-by-four so there's no mistaking what genre these stories are. I've also got a bunch of premade covers that I plan to use for short stories. They were also done by pro designers.

Cool! You're right, no mistaking what these stories are. I just shared another cover idea on the other link on the Project Connections page. Care to take a look?

2 hours ago, Zee said:

Now I’m curious about other people’s cover designing adventures. I’d love to see some of your covers, whether you designed them yourselves or had them done.

I wrote a guest-blog about this.

My DIY Book Cover Blunders

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Williams said:

My sister has done a lot of her own cover designs using different apps and things... If you want to look at some of hers, here's a link...

https://www.amazon.com/Sara-Nicole/e/B00HKQQ93Y%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

I have some ideas for covers, but none of them really fit my novel... i'm glad you were able to find a cover you like for your book. I know I'm going to have a very difficult time thinking of a cover for my novel once it's ready (which, thankfully or not, is probably still a long way off...) 

Yep. Another reason why you’re going to have to nail your genre down sooner or later, much as you don’t want to. 

And that will be just the beginning of your troubles...ha.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

My DIY Book Cover Blunders

Great article, thanks for sharing. I find myself in a very similar situation to yours...except with romance.

I am an artist, so I thought this was going to be the easy part. No way. 

3 hours ago, EBraten said:

One question I had...besides being clear that these are stories about beautiful people falling in love, we don’t really learn much about them from the cover. Is it mainly because mine contains such unusual elements that I should try to indicate them in the cover? 

1 hour ago, Zee said:

we don’t really learn much about them

The cover's job is not to indicate every nuance about the story. It just needs to tell people the genre and get them to look at the blurb.

4 hours ago, Accord64 said:

Hilarious article! I loved it.

1 hour ago, Zee said:

Is it mainly because mine contains such unusual elements that I should try to indicate them in the cover?

I think this is where you're getting hung up. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, your cover only needs to tell your readers what genre the book is.

Readers are not going to contemplate your cover art and tease out deeper meaning from it. They're going to glance at it for a couple of seconds as it sits in thumbnail size alongside a dozen other covers. You need those seconds to tell them instantly that this is the kind of book they're interested in.

Once it's done that job and they pick up the book, it's the turn of your book description/blurb to tell them more and hook them into the story.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EBraten said:

I think this is where you're getting hung up. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, your cover only needs to tell your readers what genre the book is.

Readers are not going to contemplate your cover art and tease out deeper meaning from it. They're going to glance at it for a couple of seconds as it sits in thumbnail size alongside a dozen other covers. You need those seconds to tell them instantly that this is the kind of book they're interested in.

Once it's done that job and they pick up the book, it's the turn of your book description/blurb to tell them more and hook them into the story.

Ok, I guess I’m just confused because I’m hearing different things from different people. This is my very first time, so I’m learning as I go. 

Hopefully the cover I’m going to use does its job. If not, I can always change it. It’s just going to be an ebook after all.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Zee said:

Ok, I guess I’m just confused because I’m hearing different things from different people. This is my very first time, so I’m learning as I go. 

Sorry if I interject more confusion, but think of the old adage: "Never judge a book by its cover." Except I'd add "...unless you're trying to sell a book."

A cover is a first impression. It quickly conveys genre, mood, and I think depth of quality inside. I say that last part because if a cover is done poorly, then it gives an impression that the story is going to be equally as poor. I often peruse Lousy Book Covers.  You can find daily examples of covers that are just terrible. 

27 minutes ago, Zee said:

This, exactly!

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 1

I self designed the cover for my wip but i had a really clear vision of how I wanted it and was pretty simple and I like how it came out. That wip is almost ready for betas so I started my second project and I have no idea what I'll do for cover design on that one. Might have to look into hiring someone if I cant bust out a good yet SIMPLE one.

Now im not sure about how the cover fits in the genre. Not even sure how to define its genre to be honest. It's a memoir about a romance that changed my life in a way you wouldn't expect and I focus on the relationship brought me closer to God. So I don't know but I felt led to write it. Literally woke up in thr middle of the night and "heard" the title and just kind of a super clear vision of how the cover should look and went with it. I don't believe in luck but God bless on your writing

1 hour ago, JasmineH said:

I self designed the cover for my wip but i had a really clear vision of how I wanted it and was pretty simple and I like how it came out. That wip is almost ready for betas so I started my second project and I have no idea what I'll do for cover design on that one. Might have to look into hiring someone if I cant bust out a good yet SIMPLE one.

Now im not sure about how the cover fits in the genre. Not even sure how to define its genre to be honest. It's a memoir about a romance that changed my life in a way you wouldn't expect and I focus on the relationship brought me closer to God. So I don't know but I felt led to write it. Literally woke up in thr middle of the night and "heard" the title and just kind of a super clear vision of how the cover should look and went with it. I don't believe in luck but God bless on your writing

I’d love to see it.

1 hour ago, Accord64 said:

Sorry if I interject more confusion, but think of the old adage: "Never judge a book by its cover." Except I'd add "...unless you're trying to sell a book."

A cover is a first impression. It quickly conveys genre, mood, and I think depth of quality inside. I say that last part because if a cover is done poorly, then it gives an impression that the story is going to be equally as poor. I often peruse Lousy Book Covers.  You can find daily examples of covers that are just terrible. 

Totally makes sense...

I think my cover checks those boxes, but my uncertainty lies in the fact that it doesn’t look like many other covers in its genre. But I don’t feel a “typical” image would accurately convey what kind of romance story it is. 

So we’ll see how this goes. It’s all a big experiment.

Posted (edited)

Sooo I didn't take the time to download the final version and get it on my phone. But since this I've centered the subtitle as well as purchased and cropped the actual versions of the two stock photos shown but haven't changed much else. i think i also made my name a little bigger. I may have actually changed the subtitle also lol .. took a break from the cover to focus on editing

roughtorubycover.png

Edited by JasmineH
typo

I have always used photographs taken by my wife.  Sometimes the effort of finding just the right photo can be quite a challenge.  The exception to that would be the cover for 'An Advent Journey'.  The photograph used for the book actually inspired the writing.  Feel free to check out the covers I've used.

https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B01EYBFEA6