Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Posted (edited)

Thanks so much, everybody who's weighed in on this, especially Lynn, EBraten, Shamrock and Clair Tucker!

Now I'd like to take a poll on these two designs. All other things being equal, if you were in the mood to read a romance, which one would you pick up/click on?

(A) or (B) ?

(A).jpg

(B).jpg

Edited by Zee

B for sure. It's not even close. 🙂 The image and the typography are much more appealing to me.

6 minutes ago, Claire Tucker said:

Definitely B. And I agree with EBraten about the typography

Ha! And you don’t even read romance. Maybe I should have asked which one your mum would choose.

Posted (edited)

I was pretty stuck on thinking, I have to have the couple on the cover, and there’s just no way...then I realized, I don’t need the whole couple! Brilliant.

And it’s still a fair bit of white, which I have to admit I really like, for some reason...

Edited by Zee

5 minutes ago, Zee said:

Maybe I should have asked which one your mum would choose.

She said A, because the second picture looks like a mother/child holding hands. 

Yes, B. Warning: here comes the voice of doom. The idea is a good one but I agree with Claire. I would find another couple holding hands. Just doesn't look like a couple. Also, the title seems as if you've left something off. Oxana's what? It doesn't go with the image. You might think of calling it Oxana's Cafe. Or stretching it out to something like Love at Oxana'z Cafe. And since the cafe plays such a big part, an image of a cafe needs to be in there. That's what I've been looking for. But you're on the right track. ;)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Claire Tucker said:

She said A, because the second picture looks like a mother/child holding hands. 

Hmmm, interesting point, but I don’t think it actually is. Still, if it’s easily mistaken for mother and child, that wouldn’t be helpful. Wonder if I fiddled with the typography on (A)? 

At the moment, I’m more inclined to go with (B) because it seems to fit conventional expectations better. But the verdict is still out...

Ok, here are a few more...

(A) again, with prettier lettering.

(C)

and (D)

I personally don't care for (D), but I'd still like to hear thoughts...

(AA).jpg

(C).jpg

(D).jpg

Or there's this one (E). Same picture, but rather better, I think. Not sure about the legibility of the font, though.

love, peace, and joy.jpg

I have to say, (B) is still my favorite.  Wish the hands didn't bring to mind parent and child.

Of all these options, I prefer E. I don't know the technical terms, but you could put a transluscent white background behind the title to make it more legible.

13 minutes ago, EBraten said:

Of all these options, I prefer E. I don't know the technical terms, but you could put a transluscent white background behind the title to make it more legible.

So (E) incorporates cafe and couple nicely, but gives no hint that this romance is taking place is a city that’s rapidly descending into anarchy.It’s also set in an “alternative history” Southeastern Europe. 

I'm suddenly second-guessing myself about going the pretty “conventional romance” cover route after all...I might get more initial clicks, but fewer satisfied readers.

I almost feel that the original graphic is closer to the “feel” of the story as I imagine it. I can play around with the font, of course...

Yikes. Indecisive...

I do like the second one (C?) but it needs something. I do like that you changed it to Oxana's Cafe. The last one could work with a little more editing. I'm wondering. Do you want the reader to know about the destruction/upheaval going on to be displayed on the cover, or would that be more of a, for lack of a better word, surprise?

11 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

I do like the second one (C?) but it needs something. I do like that you changed it to Oxana's Cafe. The last one could work with a little more editing. I'm wondering. Do you want the reader to know about the destruction/upheaval going on to be displayed on the cover, or would that be more of a, for lack of a better word, surprise?

It isn’t meant to be a surprise. It should be clear from the first line of the story, as well as the book description. 

1 minute ago, lynnmosher said:

What year is it? How much devastation is there?

Well, it’s an alternative history setting, so you could almost call it fantasy, but it’s meant to be present day. The war escalates over the course of the story, becoming really bad at the end.

And there's this...let's call it (F).

I'm really running out of ideas, and can't envision a way to incorporate all the elements I'm know I'm supposed to. Happy couple, café, war-torn city, etc.

Part of me just wants to pick one of these already-created options for a cover and run with it. If it's a total flop and nobody ever downloads the book (I'm not planning to sell this one right now) then I can always change it later...

Oxsana's Cafe.jpg

50 minutes ago, Zee said:

And there's this...let's call it (F).

No. Sorry, but I would never pick this one up unless I knew the author already. If your name was Francine Rivers and I was familiar with your work, then I might pick it up to check out the blurb. But otherwise, I'd have no idea what genre this cover conveys. It could be horror, mystery, suspense... Romance wouldn't be on the radar at all.

You don't need to include all the elements of your story on the cover. All you need to do is let your readers know that it's romance.

3 minutes ago, EBraten said:

You don't need to include all the elements of your story on the cover. All you need to do is let your readers know that it's romance.

That’s what the pink was for...lol. 

I think even my basic pink silhouette cover makes it clear that the story’s a romance. I suppose what’s wrong with that one is it’s simply too stark. 

Others were saying it wasn’t enough to have hands linked over coffee, if I didn’t make it clear that there were elements of violence and suspense in this romance, people would feel cheated by that cover.

I’ve got seven covers now, and all seem to be failures in different ways...but there seems to be at least one person who prefers each one as well. I’m losing track of who likes what, and why...

Okay. I know you won't like this and I don't really mean for you to. It's only a concept. Since you have romance in the midst of chaos, this is what strikes my mind. It's not done well. Just a thought to ponder. One thing, if you use images, be sure you get permission. Or if they're free, make sure you can use them for book covers. You will also need permission to use a font. If it's free, be sure it's usable for covers. These two fonts are on the list for romance fonts. Oh, and this would be a 6x9 cover. I don't think I'd go light and fluffy because the chaos is such a big part of it.

image.png.c9075f9c867e77de82e34ae35b30c585.png

• Like 2

I saw that Lynn had already posted here when I came to reply that you can blend more than one image to show the wartorn setting.

I already mentioned this cover by Hannah Linder as an example that conveys this. You could do something similar with the hands.

hannah_linder.jpg