A Genre Guide Book? Bring it on!

Genre Guide Book  By Karen Ball and Erin Taylor Young

We're excited to announce...

The Genre Guidebook is Here!

Readers have expectations. Know what they are.

Do you know exactly what readers are looking for in your books?

This guidebook book is written just for YOU by two publishing professionals to help you meet and exceed reader expectations! 

Keep your readers coming back for more.

BUY IT HERE

NOTE: This book was formerly published as A Field Guide to Genres in Fiction in the Writing Success anthology.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

So you're a genre hopper to, EBraten?

I am! I'm trying to rein it in, though, and complete at least a full series in one genre before moving to the next. I've got ideas for historical sagas, fantasy, historical romance, contemporary romance, young adult, dystopian suspense...

• Like 2
2 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Can't wait to see them.

God willing, I'll finish the contemporary romance series later this year, then early next year take a detour into a young adult series written for African teens. The fantasy and historical are on the backburner because the worldbuilding takes so long!

I really want to write a historical fiction series set in pre-colonial East Africa in the time when missionaries first brought the Gospel. I honestly don't know whether I'll ever write it, but that's the one I think I'd want to be my magnum opus.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, EBraten said:

I really want to write a historical fiction series set in pre-colonial East Africa in the time when missionaries first brought the Gospel

Please do write it. Those of us in SA are really tired of hearing our government blame everything that goes wrong on the colonialists, so this would be such a refreshing change

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

Please do write it. Those of us in SA are really tired of hearing our government blame everything that goes wrong on the colonialists, so this would be such a refreshing change

From your lips to God's ear! It'll take a huge amount of research to get the details right, but there are definitely God-honouring stories that need to be told from that time.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, EBraten said:

God willing, I'll finish the contemporary romance series later this year, then early next year take a detour into a young adult series written for African teens. The fantasy and historical are on the backburner because the worldbuilding takes so long!

I really want to write a historical fiction series set in pre-colonial East Africa in the time when missionaries first brought the Gospel. I honestly don't know whether I'll ever write it, but that's the one I think I'd want to be my magnum opus.

That sounds like a great idea. I hope you do! 

• Like 1