Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Zee

Related to my last...

Posted (edited)

Who here has self-published?

How many books, and what kind?

Did you sell them or give them away?

Edited by Zee

I self-published my first book through Christian Faith Publishing; it's a Christian memoir and it's available in paperback and several eBook formats. CFP actually sets the price, and I am selling them, but I've given away quite a number as well. I then published a little companion book through KDP, available in paperback and Kindle for a very low price - But I eventually made that a free PDF download from my website. I'm about to publish my second full book on Ingram Spark. It is a collection of testimonies with some study information attached to each one.

• Like 2

Lurk away, and welcome. I’m curious to see how many people respond.

Why thank you. For what it's worth, I plan to self publish my  first book through KDP. They have some very helpful webinars on how to complete the process. But im still in the editing phase

• Like 1

I self-publish.

I've published five books. All fiction, and vary in genre. Thrillers, Sci-Fi, Mystery, Post-apocalyptic.

I sell them through Amazon, Apple books, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Google Play, Smashwords. Basically "wide distribution." They're available in both eBook and print book formats. I manage all retail distribution and set my own prices. Print books are produced POD (print on demand) through KDP (formerly Createspace), and could end up almost anywhere. I doubt they get stocked in bookstores, but one title likely made it into a few. 

Prices are set (and tuned) to current market. There have been occasions that I give copies away, but it's part of a promotion or quest for reviews. One of my books scored a review in Publishers Weekly, while others get reviewed by bloggers, etc.

Once I finish a trilogy series, I plan to either price book one low or make it perma-free. This is a common strategy to draw readers into a series so they purchase the next books. 

As a self-published author, I have control over most aspects of the publishing process. I make the decision as to where I want to sell, and at what price. I'm also responsible for all aspects of marketing.

• Like 3

I've self-published two Christian contemporary romance novels. They're in a series. I released the first in October last year and the next in February this year. I've got a third on pre-order. God willing, it'll come out in November if I hit my deadlines. Like @Accord64, I upload them everywhere I can. So, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, GooglePlay, Apple Books and lots of other smaller retailers. They're available as ebook and print, and I'm also producing audiobook versions.

I'm writing another book right now which is in the same series, but it will not be for sale; it will be an exclusive giveaway to people who join my mailing list.

I've given away some copies for reviews and as part of promotional giveaways on blog tours and Facebook, but I've sold far more than I've given away.

When my series is complete, I plan to make the first book permafree. Since I'm not in Kindle Unlimited, having a permafree book is a great way to get new readers to try out an author or a series that's new to them.

• Like 1

I SP a YA novel in 2008.

It was professionally edited, typeset and I got an artist to do the jacket. I gave some away to readers and asked them to review. Even managed to get a quote or two for the back jacket.

It went on Amazon. BN & Waaterstones.

What did I learn

1. Only do it if you are prepared to invest in a robust marketing plan - otherwise it is a waste of time and money because nobody knows you and you have to market it variously. You will need to build a reader-basis.

2. If you go down the tradition print a tone of copies route get extra jackets printed. They cost less in bulk and if you go into a second print run you can cut costs by using the spare jackets.

3. If I was ever to do it again I would do POD & Kindle.