Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Zee

Taking the Plunge...

When I joined this site about a year ago, I thought it would be fun and help me improve my writing. It is, and it has.

Now, several short stories and one and a half novels later, I’m starting to get feedback from the excellent people who have been beta-reading my first proper novel. It’s  been remarkably positive. Unless they were being way too nice, they truly enjoyed reading it.

So... I’m starting to think of self-publishing this novella as an ebook, once I’ve received all reviews and given it a final polish or two.

Seems like fun, and I don’t see how it could hurt, but I thought I’d share my plan here anyway. 

If it seems stupid/premature/impulsive, I know I have plenty of people to stop me from taking the plunge if I shouldn’t yet...or ever.

Any thoughts?

• Like 4

Do it!

But first, spend the time and money to get it professionally edited.

And, with print-on-demand through a place like Ingram Spark or KDP, there's no reason to limit it to eBook only. You can easily get paperbacks.

And finally, while you are awaiting editing, take the time to do a simple marketing plan, and think about trying to snag an endorsement or two you can include on the cover and at launch. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Zee said:

So... I’m starting to think of self-publishing this novella as an ebook, once I’ve received all reviews and given it a final polish or two.

Awesome! Congratulations. Before I give any thoughts or advice, it would be useful to know what your intentions are. Are you hoping that this will be the first of many?

1 hour ago, EBraten said:

Awesome! Congratulations. Before I give any thoughts or advice, it would be useful to know what your intentions are. Are you hoping that this will be the first of many?

Well, maybe so. Hopefully so. After all, if I can do one, no reason I couldn’t do more, right? 

I have one more loosely-related novella in progress, and ideas for a couple more.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zee said:

After all, if I can do one, no reason I couldn’t do more, right?

In that case, I'd recommend Adam Croft's book The Indie Author Checklist. It's a nice handbook of all the information you need. Another really good book is Patty Jensen's Self-Publishing Unboxed. They give a good, solid, no-hype presentation of things you need to know. Joanna Penn also has a free resource called Author Blueprint 2.0.

Remind me what your genre is again? I can recommend a couple of cover artists who are reasonably-priced. You need a good cover, but it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

5 hours ago, EBraten said:

Remind me what your genre is again? I can recommend a couple of cover artists who are reasonably-priced. You need a good cover, but it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

The genre is romance. To tell the truth, I’m an artist, so I’d figured on designing the cover myself. With all the resources available today, seems that shouldn’t be too hard. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zee said:

To tell the truth, I’m an artist, so I’d figured on designing the cover myself.

It's great that you've got those skills! That's fantastic. I'd encourage you to get feedback on your cover designs when they're ready. Sometimes a beautiful piece of art doesn't necessarily translate to an effective book cover.

1 hour ago, EBraten said:

It's great that you've got those skills! That's fantastic. I'd encourage you to get feedback on your cover designs when they're ready. Sometimes a beautiful piece of art doesn't necessarily translate to an effective book cover.

Good point...maybe I could do that on this site. I’ll try sharing on the Project Connections Forum.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EBraten said:

I threw some things out on the Jobs/Projects Forum. Would love if you had a look...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zee said:

Would love if you had a look...

I've left my comments there!

4 hours ago, EBraten said:

I've left my comments there!

One thing I forgot to mention...while this story is 

primarily romance, it’s part of a loosely connected series, and while the others may have romantic elements, they wouldn’t be considered “romances.” So, continuity in cover designs is also something to consider. Echhh, i had no idea how complicated this would be. Oh, well. Live and learn. I’m not ready to can the project yet.

1 minute ago, Zee said:

So, continuity in cover designs is also something to consider

While this is true, you're probably still going to want to stick to the genre conventions for each book. Continuity can be created through a logo, typography, a "series title" (Adventures in Odyssey comes to mind) - something that indicates that the stories are loosely connected. There are ways of creating the continuity without sacrificing the genre of each story on the cover

With the example of Adventures in Odyssey, there are a lot of stories falling under that name. There isn't necessarily a sequential order to them, but the connecting thread is the location and a few key characters (Whit is the first that comes to mind, followed by Connie and Eugene).