Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Spaulding

Alphabetizing the Church Directory

This is my wheelhouse, so it's a job I'm excited to do and volunteered to do. I'm also good at alphabetizing in general, except for one thing -- couples.

Two couples. Same last names. Different first names. I get it, then the one with the first letter closest to A goes first. Except...wife or husband's first name?

Is there consistency for whether the man or woman goes first in church directories? If not grammatically, than etiquettely? (Yes, I make up my own words.) And if this is the closest to A works, then what's that say about the rest of the couples in the directory? (I would go with doing couple's name's alphabetically, except then it's hard for new people to figure out how to contact deacons and elder's if the husband's name happens to be later in the alphabet than the wife's.)

Also, if anyone else has ever worked on a digital version of Church Directory, let me know. When I volunteered, I was picturing paper-pamphlet. I'm so old school, I just read my first ebook last month and have no idea how to do anything with our smartphone except turn it on. (As it stands now, I can't even phone home with it.) I think I can do this anyway, (I'm very good with Microsoft Word), but I'd appreciate anyone willing to help me if/when I get stuck again.

If I can link it all for easy access might be both. Still figuring out the design. Then again, not all spouses are members. (They do have everyone in the family included, but do tell which true members.)

If a digital file, they can use "Find" to find the wife's name when you enter the husband's name first. Of course, that won't work with a paper file.

Or list them both, each with the spouse's name afterward. That would make for a lot longer list.

Ellen Smith (w)/ Tom (h)

Tom Smith (h) / Ellen (w)

• Like 1

Two questions that should be easier for those who stayed up-to-date:

1. What size font is standard for tablets and smartphones?

2. In Word 2013, how do we set page numbers and titles in headers? It doesn't seem to grasp even and odd pages, or that the title page isn't numbered. It did in previous versions.)

I was using 2007 until Christmas. 😆

I did jerry-rig it a bit to give me the right numbers on the page. Now I can find out how to do it the modern-people way. Thank you.