Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
William D'Andrea

I need prayers and advice for a sudden, totally unexpected financial problem.

Hello again Mike:

It turns out that I wasn't making progress.  This morning I received a reply stating:

"We received your message regarding your Debit card. I was unable to find your information in our system.

"You may have mistaken us with another Peoples Bank.  We are a community bank located in Northwest Indiana and South Suburban Chicagoland Area. The only offices and ATMs that we have are located in this area."

So I'm back to where I was.   On Friday when this first started, I tried to make a phone call.  I received a recorded message stating that I'd have to stay on line for about 52 minutes.  Not wait for a call back.  This means that I'd lose a lot of time on my cell phone.  With a cell phone, the phrase 'Time is money' is no figure of speech.  That'll be another problem.  I only have 12 service days left on my cell phone.  Getting more service is something else I'd have to pay for.

It looks like I'm still in need of many prayers.  In Jesus Name.  Amen. 

• Like 1

Okay, William, I'm pretty good with googling, so found your bank. It's not open until 2 pm, so how about calling their local number after 2?

https://branches.peoples.com/ny/medford/700-patchogue-yaphank-rd.html

And, if'n they're going to make you wait that long again, go back to them in person.

Also, for future use, I do my bills online so I don't have to spend money for a stamp. (I don't even know how much they cost anymore, I use them so seldom.) And it's free. "Free." My favorite price! 

On a personal note. I thought the words we used around here were tough to pronounce. (Schuylkill and Moyamensing.) No idea how to pronounce Yaphank or Patchoque. Medford! There's a Medford, NJ, so at least that word was easy. (Just trying to give you a couple of chuckles, to keep your spirit up until this is resolved.)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pretend this one doesn't exist. (I erased a double post.) :$

Edited by Spaulding
oops
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

I do my bills online so I don't have to spend money for a stamp

Most banks have "Bill Pay". That has streamlined my life. I pay everything online.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

And, if'n they're going to make you wait that long again, go back to them in person

The Bank is only a 15 minute walk from my house.  I might have to wait on line to make an appointment.  That might also take almost an hour; but at least it will get me out of the house.

To answer your questions about pronunciations:  Patchogue is pronounced either 'Patch-og' or 'Pat-chog'.  With Yaphank it's either "Yap-hank" or "Ya-fank".

As for communities with interesting names here on Long Island.  In the New York City Borough of Queens, there is a neighborhood that's actually named "Corona".   I think it's on the border of the neighborhood named "Flushing".   There's also a Queens neighborhood named "Ozone Park". 

• Like 2

One of Jethro Gibb's (MC of NCIS snarky comebacks), is "Ya think?"

Someone around you came up with a better comeback centuries earlier. "Ya-phank?" ☺️

I suspect your questions will be answered, your fears laid to rest, and by the end of the week, you're rent will be paid and you'll have access to your money, once you talk to your bank.

God has two lesson plans to teach us all our lives:

1. "I love you."

2. "Trust me."

I suspect what you're going through now is from God to remind you of both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaulding said:

God has two lesson plans to teach us all our lives:

1. "I love you."

2. "Trust me."

I suspect what you're going through now is from God to remind you of both.

What I've been praying to the Lord personally, is that this is just wearing me down, and I don't want to have to be going through any of this; and I've been asking Him to just put an end to all of it now.  In Jesus Name.  Amen.

• Like 1

I finally found the e-mail link to the correct Bank.  I just e-mailed them a copy of the one I sent to the wrong Bank yesterday, then posted a copy here  Hopefully, things will finally work out.

Thank the Lord.  In Jesus Name.  Amen.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I just sent my Bank the following e-mail message:

xxxxxxxxxxx

I've been wondering.  My entire income consists of monthly Social Security payments.  Would it be okay for me to open a new account, in which the SSA could deposit the payments, instead of the old account that's now causing me these problems? 

Thank you.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm praying to the Lord that will be enough to get this all settled.  In Jesus Name.  Amen.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I just received this following reply:

Thank you for contacting us. You can open an account through our sales area. The number is 800-894-0300 between 7am and 11pm. You would then have to contact social security to have the direct deposit into the new account. Have a great day. Be safe.  

Please feel free to contact us with any further questions.

Thank You,
Beth

Edited by William D'Andrea
  • Like 1

Okay, so obvious next question. Is Social Security customer service people "essential personnel?" I'm thinking Yes, considering our payday is coming soon, (guessing you and I have the same payday), but this shut down thing has whacked up so much. (Necessary, but wacky.)

And honest honest. This is long experience with the Lord where we've been kicked out of middle-class to down to a dime (literally, once), twice. I know you don't want to go through this. You'd be nuts if you did, However, this is how God keeps teaching me patience and trust. (More trust than patience. I'm still not patient.) He gives us no other choices and then gives us what we need somewhere between right between the time we need it and sometimes even shortly after. BUT he does give us what we need in a timely way. His timing. He's Dad and keeps teaching us what is good for us, even if it isn't what we want.

Hang in there. God is working on this even if it feels like he's not. Honest, honest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spaulding said:

Okay, so obvious next question. Is Social Security customer service people "essential personnel?" I'm thinking Yes, considering our payday is coming soon, (guessing you and I have the same payday), but this shut down thing has whacked up so much. (Necessary, but wacky.)

Here in the New York Metropolitan Area, most office workers are now "Working from home", using their own computers and phones.  So getting through to the local Social Security customer service people shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 2

So, what's the verdict? Can you get a new account opened and in time for the money to land in it? Or are the able to fix the problem so you can use the old account?

Also, an option I just thought of. Wouldn't a bank cash a check from the US government, if you got your SS check by mail? (Usually banks want to make sure the money is paid from check originator, but if we can't trust the US government to have the money behind their checks, this country is doomed.) They do send checks if we don't direct deposit.

Of course, bad side of that option is waiting for it to come in the mail.

• Like 1

I just sent the following e-mail message to the Pastor of the Church I attend:

"Things haven't changed since the last time I contacted you.  I'm still having trouble contacting the Bank, about getting the problem with my Bank account solved.

"Last time we spoke, you asked if there was anything you could do.  I said that I didn't want to have to ask anyone for money, and that is not my intention.  What I'm wondering, is if you or someone from the Integrity Church would be able to open a new account in my name, at the People's United Bank, inside the Stop & Shop Supermarket, in the shopping center along Sills Road?

"If you agree, please let me know all the information you'd need from me, to do so.

"Until now, I've been going through a lot of anxiety.  Now I remember Jesus words:

"'Seek first the Kingdom of God and His Righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.'

"So I'm finally taking His advice.  I'm seeking help from the Integrity Church part of His Kingdom.

"Thank you."

• Like 1

I was finally able to get through to the Bank.  I called the Branch's phone number and arranged for an appointment on Saturday at 11 AM.  The woman I spoke to said that they'd be issuing me a new debit card.  So it looks like everything's going to be okay. 

I thank all of your for your prayers and helpful advice.   

All praise and thanks to the Lord.  In Jesus Name.  Amen.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I thought everything was settled until this morning, when I received a notification from yahoo.com stating:
    "We're sorry, but your recent payment for your System Mechanic subscription was declined. We were unable to process your payment of $5.42. This may be because the credit card we have on file expired or reached its limit. Please update your billing information as soon as possible in order to avoid any interruption to your services."
xxxxxxxxxxxx

I've just sent them the following reply.

xxxxxxxxxxxx
      I've been informed by my Bank that my account was being hacked, so they shut it down.  I was also told that I need to have my old debit card replaced with a new one.  I've made an appointment to go to the Bank tomorrow morning 4/4/2020, at 11 AM, where I will receive a new card, then I'll be able to pay the $4.52 that I owe to yahoo.com 
     As soon as I return home, I'll make the payment; so now that I've explained things, I hope you won't be suspending my subscription.    
    Thank you.
                                          William D'Andrea

xxxxxxxxxxxx

For $5.42, this is really annoying. 

• Sad 1

Actually, though the email is in Yahoo, it's not from them. Did you order something from System Mechanic?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

Actually, though the email is in Yahoo, it's not from them. Did you order something from System Mechanic?

I haven't ordered anything from System Mechanic.  Isn't it part of Yahoo.com?

Well whatever it is, I'm still getting that new debit card from my Bank tomorrow morning.  I do need it.

I also again ask for prayers from members of the christianwriter.com section of the Kingdom of God on Earth, that I'll get the new debit card, and make the payment before my account is suspended. 

In Jesus Name.  Amen.   

• Like 1

Everything's okay now.  After waiting more than an hour, I was finally able to get through to someone at yahoo.com, on my cell phone.  I explained things to him.  Now I won't have to worry about my account being suspended, before I get my new debit card tomorrow, so I'll be able to get a good night sleep tonight.

Praise the Lord.  In Jesus Name.  Amen.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, William D'Andrea said:

I haven't ordered anything from System Mechanic.  Isn't it part of Yahoo.com?

If you haven't ordered anything from this place, why are they sen.ding you a bill? I think you've received a phishing email and I wouldn't give them any more personal info. They would love to get into your account and then you've started all over again. I would go to where that email is. Don't open it. Just hover over the email address and see what comes after the @.

I'm glad it's straightened out.

9 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

If you haven't ordered anything from this place, why are they sen.ding you a bill? 

I'm not sure what you call this, but these are the https numbers of the e-mails I've received.  They look like legitimate yahoo.com.

https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/1/messages/257916?.src=fp

https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/1/messages/257992?.src=fp

Thank you.

• Like 1

No, those aren't email addresses. Which folder is it in? Inbox? When all your emails are listed there. just lover your mouse over the name on the left who is sending it. When you hover (not click), the email address will pop up. What does it say?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

No, those aren't email addresses. Which folder is it in? Inbox? When all your emails are listed there. just lover your mouse over the name on the left who is sending it. When you hover (not click), the email address will pop up. What does it say?

In my Inbox, one e-mail address says "yahoo customer care".

The one I replied to says "Yahoo, me".

They certainly look legitimate to me.

• Like 1