Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
William D'Andrea

I need prayers and advice for a sudden, totally unexpected financial problem.

This morning I was in the local Stop & Shop supermarket.  They have a small Banking office inside the building, along with an ATM machine.  I went to the machine.  I put in my mastercard debit card, and clicked on a request to see my account's balance.  I received a receipt stating "STATUS PROBLEM ON CARD BEING USED

TRANSACTION DENIED".

I have no idea what caused the problem, but what this means is that I can not use the card.

Under ordinary circumstances, I'd have gone inside the office, and probably got the problem taken care of, in hopefully less than a half hour.   The problem is that now all their employees are working at home, so I couldn't get any direct immediate help.  When I got home I logged onto the Bank's website, but I was advised that the account number, which I copied from my last monthly statement was incorrect.  Then I tried to call someone using their phone number, but I had trouble getting through.

I then tried to contact Mastercard's official website, but it just kept me going in circles.

I have no idea what to do.  As of now I only have $82.00 in cash in my wallet.  I also have an EBT account, so I won't have any trouble purchasing food.  I just won't be able to pay for anything else.  Not my rent, or utilities, medications, or anything else.  

I do have a friend who is very knowledgeable when it comes to financial things.  He's the guy who helped me when I was looking for a new place to live.  He guided me while going to many different government and private offices, helping me fill out an endless number of documents.  He was also the guy, who with the help of his adult son, helped me move into the place where I am now living.  

I'm sure I can get some good help from him; but if it wasn't for these coronavirus restrictions, that probably wouldn't be necessary.

Now I'm asking for all of your prayers, along with helpful advice from any of you who understands these things.  Either that, or when I return to the Stop & Shop tomorrow morning, the problem will have resolved itself.

I thank all of you.  In Jesus Name.  Amen. 

• Like 1

Praying that you get this problem resolved quickly.

Can you go to another store to see if the problem was just at their ATM machine?

Or better yet the banks ATM.

4 minutes ago, Bob Leone said:

Praying that you get this problem resolved quickly.

Can you go to another store to see if the problem was just at their ATM machine?

Or better yet the banks ATM.

I'll be doing that tomorrow morning.  

Thank you.

• Like 1

Most cards have a number on the back that you can call 24/7. 

• Like 2

This morning I took the advice I was given here, and used a self checkout machine at the same Stop & Shop.  It wouldn't accept my debit card, so I had to pay cash.  It was for a very  inexpensive item; but small payments added together can quickly become very big. 

So I'll have to go back on-line again.

I ask all of you to keep praying, so I'll be able to work things out as quickly as possibly.

In Jesus Name.  Amen.

• Like 1

William, since it's a debit card, get to your bank online, and ask for help through the help feature in the website. If banks weren't doing this before, rest assured they're figuring out how to do this now, but surely they have customer service folks working at home. And hopefully, they are equipped with how to get into the banks database to find out what went wrong. (I have a friend who is still making transportation in the UK happen during all this, and she's working from home. So if the UK's version of the Department of Transportation is still getting it done, American banks are still getting it done.)

Something tells me, they closed your account to protect you. Something funky was happening, (It happened to me once, when I bought something from England, and my bank knew I wasn't in England.) Frustrating, but I rather them err on the side of too cautious than too easy, since this is a debit card, not a credit card. (That's OUR money in that account.)

And my bank usually takes 24 hours to get back to me. Even on weekends, though admittedly, my bank is one of those holy-smokes-huge banks. Worse that happens to you, is your bank won't answer until Monday or Tuesday. Considering we're already used to "banker's hours" on Sundays, rent isn't due until Tuesday, isn't late until next weekend, and every single business in the country is giving leeway to all of us stuck in this lock-down, no need to get properly freaked out, until the middle of next week. (i.e., waylay a perfectly reasonable freak out.)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

Something tells me, they closed your account to protect you. Something funky was happening,  I rather them err on the side of too cautious than too easy, since this is a debit card, not a credit card. (That's OUR money in that account.)

Here's something that's made the situation even worse than "funky".  I've logged onto the Bank's website, where I'm asked to give my account number.  I posted the number that's atop the last monthly statement I received.  Then I was informed "Verification unsuccessful.  Please try again."

I'd posted the number on my bank statement.  I don't know what else my account number  would be.

I think it's possible that this is an attack by the Devil.  

In the Bible it says, "Resist the Devil and he will flee from you."

My problem is that he always comes back.

We're also advised to put on the full armor of God to resist all the attacks of the evil one.  I'm trying to do that, but I'm not sure what piece of armor I am or am not wearing.

I just ask for the Lord's mercy in this.

Please pray for God's mercy on me.  

In Jesus Name.  Amen.

Thank y

• Like 2

Oh, you've never used your bank's site to pay bills before? They've asked me all sorts of verification questions, but never ask me to verify my account numbers.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

Oh, you've never used your bank's site to pay bills before? They've asked me all sorts of verification questions, but never ask me to verify my account numbers.

I normally pay my bills with money orders, which I purchase at the Customers Service Desk inside the Stop & Shop.  The Bank inside the Stop & Shop charges $5.00 for a money order, while the Service Desk only charges $1.00.  So I save myself $12.00 a month that way.  Also, the Bank office opens at 10 AM, while the Service Desk opens when the store does, at 7 AM.

Your question makes me wonder if my account number might be on the money order receipts.  I'll check them out and see.  Hopefully that will be enough.

Thank you.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

This may be none of my business but I'm curious as to why you're not using checks.

Money orders are as good as cash.  They don't have to be verified like checks.

• Like 1

Yeah...I think @Spaulding may be right.

If they detected suspicious activity, they may have locked everything down, that may include online access to your account.

Praying for a quick resolve!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, William D'Andrea said:

Money orders are as good as cash.  They don't have to be verified like checks.

True but money orders cost more than checks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

True but money orders cost more than checks.

Where I get them, they only cost one dollar a piece, and I only get three a month.

• Like 1

I think I may have probably gotten through on-line, using the Bank's e-mail service.  I posted the following message:

xxxxxxxxxx

Hello:    

On Friday morning, March 27, 2020, I was in the Stop & Shop Supermarket in Yaphank, New York, where an Office of the People’s United Bank is located.  It’s close to where I live, and where I have my account.  I went to the ATM machine outside the Office, to check my account’s balance.  On the receipt I found the words.  “030 STATUS PROBLEM ON CARD BEING USED  TRANSACTION DENIED #4195.  FOR ASSISTANCE CALL YOUR BANK.” 

If things were as usual, I’d have gone inside the Office, and had the problem fixed in hopefully less than a half hour.  However, with the coronavirus restrictions, things have become much too difficult.  When I got back home, I went on line, where I was asked for my Account Number.  I copied the number that’s on my monthly Statement of Account, but was informed that the number I posted was incorrect. 

I’m now unsure what to do.  When I’m working with websites, I feel like I’m lost in the wilderness.  Would it be possible for us to work out this problem, by just sending e-mail back and forth like this?

Thank you.

William N D’Andrea  

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I hope that will be enough, and that sometime tomorrow, everything will be back to normal.

I also ask for all of your continued prayers.  In Jesus Name.  Amen. 

• Like 3

I will be praying for you to get this who situation resolved. 🙏

Father God: Please guide William through this quagmire. Allow his email missle get to someone who can assist him in this mysterious turn of events.  In the Name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, William D'Andrea said:

I hope that will be enough, and that sometime tomorrow, everything will be back to normal.

I also ask for all of your continued prayers.  In Jesus Name.  Amen. 

I'll be praying for you, too.

• Like 1