Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Alley

Author platform discussions (part 2)

Let's discuss author platforms. This is a huge topic, so I'm starting a series with different themes/questions for each one. 

Part two! 

What parts of each platform you are on do you like best, and help you best reach your audience? 

• Like 3

I like asking fun Saturday questions "caption this", or "What's your favorite ...?" on Facebook, where I actually have engagement. 

• Like 1

Facebook is very useful for me. I can share posts from my author site rather easily and get the most traffic to my site from Facebook.  I also use Twitter some, but am not very good at it yet. Thanks for starting this discussion!

• Like 1

TWitter: I don't like Twitter any more. Too nasty, negative, political. Facebook will show me more of those I'm connected to. I don't see so much junk.  Timing is also important.

IG: I can't get into Instagram. I posted one scripture graphic to get started and someone, probably IG, hijacked my email address and I can't get back in. They are very snobbish (among other things) and will not help you if you are not a big name.

LinkedIn: LI to me is useless. I guess I never really got into it. I just did not like the overall layout and the way it worked.

PInterest: I like Pinterest. I just don't go there that often any more. I don't know why. I guess I got out of the habit. I need to update all my boards. It's nice and a good place for writers.

Facebook: This is where I am every day. Mainly to answer people's comments, to post my graphics and memories (graphics and certain posts FB will show you from years past), and do a quick scroll through and leave comments. It doesn't take a lot of time and doesn't have to be in one chunk. You can spread out your time, which is what I suggest. I also post a link to my newsletter a few times a week.

With FB, you have to think about timing. What time you post is important. Your time zone is not someone else's and you may not get a good or the best response. Let's say you post around 9am EDT. That's 6am PT. How many are going to be on FB at that hour in that time zone? Posting mainly at the same time gets others used to seeing you. However, posting at other hours is also good to draw in new viewers.

• Like 1

Writing wise I have created website but it's not open to the public yet and is quite basic.

I use twitter a lot for our church which has prove a good way to reach people and have created a dedicated twitter account for writing but again I am not using it much as an author partly because I don't feel ready to launch myself yet. Maybe when I get some work published.  I don't like face book so rarely use it.

On the question of website apart from a link to your book to purchase, blog about yourself, what else is useful to put on it without cluttering it?

• Like 1

Blogging doesn't have to be about you. Blog about topics of interest to you. Have guest posters. :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Alley said:

What parts of each platform you are on do you like best, and help you best reach your audience?

Instagram is far and away the most effective for me right now. I find it easier to get engagement there. Since the year began I've been posting 4-5 days a week, although since the coronavirus situation started to escalate, I haven't posted much and have been quiet most of this month.

Facebook is very lacklustre. I have an author page on which I post every time I post in my Instagram feed, but the engagement is much lower. I started on Facebook and Instagram at the same time, and I have almost ten times the number of followers on Instagram. But I keep my Facebook page because I know that its one of the places people look when they want to find out more about you. Plus, I need a page in case I ever decide to run ads.

My author website is very basic, but I have plans to scale up how I use it.

I have a Pinterest board where I pin genre-specific things that are interesting to me, but I hardly pay attention to it and it's not really part of my plan.

I've got profiles on Bookbub and Goodreads but haven't done much in either place.

• Like 1

I don't like any social media, except here.  Even here I have social stuttering.  There's a reason I chose work that required a closet. (Audiobook production).  

• Like 1

Oh, my! You're more introverted than I am. Living with a sanguine/extrovert for 54 years, I've come out of my shell somewhat. ;) And believe it or not, social media has helped me also! :oops::D

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 6:05 PM, Alley said:

I am on Facebook everyday. I send out birthday greetings with a little plug for my Human Beans (HB). And every holiday post something with my website as a tagline. Good response from that. As you can see I love creating my HB comic stories. Hopefully, they will draw more people to my website, which in turn with overflow onto my novel page.

Twitter and Instagram I have very few followers. I still post once in a while and get minimal response.

My website used to be high volume, but since my three year hiatus, it has dropped considerably. I am slowly building it back up with each month's HB comic stories.

I put announcements about HB's  on the promo forum on this website, but mainly I enjoy the interaction with fellow Christian's here. A safe friendly place.   

3 minutes ago, Bob Leone said:

. A safe friendly place.   

Amen! 

• Like 1