Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

On Amazon or will be? READ THIS!

Interesting information, and probably true. Sad that people do what she's saying. Hurts everyone. 

Posted (edited)

There are still too many authors trying to game the review system. I can't blame Amazon for getting tougher, but also agree they tend to exact clumsy enforcement (I really liked the Cybermen imagery). But in the end, it's their house, their rules. 

Back when I published my first book (in 2012), I remember coming across many YouTube eBook marketing courses. Most of them advocated getting reviews by any means possible. Some even showed you how to contract "click-farms" to purchase a set of reviews, and even how they should be worded. A couple even showed you how to set up alternate Amazon accounts so they can be used to leave yourself reviews (and one-star competing books).

The whole fake review strategy seemed like it was standard practice. I was sickened by it all. But what frustrated me even more was that Amazon didn't seem to care that a tidal-wave of fake reviews was washing over their Kindle books. By the time they started to act, they always seemed to be one step behind the click-farm shenanigans, and usually made it harder for authors to get legitimate reviews.

Someday another on-line retailer will knock Amazon off it's top bookseller perch, and I think this issue will be a driving force behind that fall. 

Edited by Accord64

On 3/22/2020 at 6:16 PM, zx1ninja said:

Interesting information, and probably true. Sad that people do what she's saying. Hurts everyone. 

Yes, it does. And it is sad. :(

On 3/22/2020 at 7:20 PM, Accord64 said:

There are still too many authors trying to game the review system. I can't blame Amazon for getting tougher, but also agree they tend to exact clumsy enforcement

And this is a shame. Though some do it intentionally, others do it unknowingly, green newbies who haven't learned not to do this. :rolleyes:

On 3/22/2020 at 7:20 PM, Accord64 said:

Someday another on-line retailer will knock Amazon off it's top bookseller perch, and I think this issue will be a driving force behind that fall.

Yes and amen! 👍

My favorite part was the link to the Wergle Flomp humorous poetry contest. No entry fee and a $1000 prize.

I was shut out from reviewing a book that I had actually purchased. It wasn't a total rave, either; I thought the academic setting didn't stand out from the other "space cadet" stories I had seen.

But I don't buy a lot of fiction, so they didn't accept my review.