Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Shamrock

Duology or Thrilogy?

When I wrote 'Demon's I meant it to be a single story.  Then someone asked what happened to Reuben and his mother which lead to me writing 'Child of No One.'  Now I an considering writing a third book. Thanks to a comment by Zee and a chance remark by my son - an idea is forming with Grandma Annie centre stage. 

My worry is that this might seem pushing my luck? Some writers find it hard to let go of their characters and write about them even though the 'steam' has gone out. The other thought that bugs me is what do publishers/agents  prefer. -standalone novels or series. Would two books be enough, or would they want a 3rd anyway?

Any comments welcomed.😃

I think it’s less about readers losing interest in your characters and more about you personally running out of steam, trying to milk the characters you already have for every last scrap of story, because you’re too tired or lazy to invent new people.

If you’re full of ideas for Grandma Annie, and excited about telling her story, then I think your readers will be excited to read about her, regardless of how many stories they’ve already read about her family.

I have no idea what publishers would think, though...probably should start thinking about that myself because I’m beginning to feel that with another story or two, I might be good enough to consider publishing.

Lazy? Not a word in my vocabulary.

Ideas?Yep. Lots for both Grandma Annie and new stories.

But yes I agree in essence with what you say.

47 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

Lazy? Not a word in my vocabulary.

Ideas?Yep. Lots for both Grandma Annie and new stories.

But yes I agree in essence with what you say.

I didn’t intend to imply you were lazy...just that your stories will only run out of steam if you do. 

You could also use the later stories as give aways on your website. 

14 hours ago, Zee said:

I didn’t intend to imply you were lazy...just that your stories will only run out of steam if you do. 

No offense taking. I get your point and it is fair one.

13 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

If you're excited about the story, then write it! It will convey to your readers.

Yes, I agree. Just a bit tired at the mo with all the COVID-19 stuff in the UK making life difficult - as I am sure it is doing for everyone all over the global. 

THanks for the feedback.

Carolina said it better than I did...but that’s exactly what I was trying to say.

I have to ask, what did you end up doing with the original story, the “Demon of Sphinx” one? I never saw all of it here, I don’t think.

Some of it was posted on the site when I first joined last year.

I am just about ready to sub it but waited til I had Child of No One written first incase I needed to change details to fit the overall story together.