Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

Amazon deprioritizing books for now

Looks like this would impact print book sales/shipments only.

eBooks aren't shipped, and should be instantly accessed as always. I see some potential here. As people dial down the panic shopping and settle into a more isolated existence, we could see a resurgence in book reading.

How much can anyone binge-watch before fatigue sets in, or you run out of things to watch? Reading has far more material avaialble.

Now we just have figure out how to market in this unique environment. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Accord64 said:

Now we just have figure out how to market in this unique environment. 

Hopefully this unique environment will not last long enough to develop new marketing techniques.

• Like 1

I just found this on Snopes: Is Amazon Suspending All Deliveries Except Medical Supplies?

What's True

Amazon is temporarily prohibiting third-party sellers from shipping and storing non-essential items at its warehouses until April 5, 2020. This will likely impact the products available for "Fulfillment by Amazon" (FBA) orders in the near-future.

What's False

Amazon did not announce that it was halting shipping on all non-essential items. Amazon will continue to ship non-essential items to consumers as long as those items are in stock. Products that are not shipped from Amazon's warehouses will not be affected by this temporary policy.

I'm not sure how this applies to POD books, since they are not a stocked item (for the most part). It's possible that there could be delays. Hard to tell.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

This is Amazon's own article. Haven't read all the way through it yet. :)

Interesting! This came out the same day as the Snopes article, but they haven't retracted or updated it.

Here's the main message of the Amazon notice:

We are seeing increased online shopping and as a result some products such as household staples and medical supplies are out of stock. With this in mind, we are temporarily prioritizing household staples, medical supplies and other high-demand products coming into our fulfillment centers so that we can more quickly receive, restock, and ship these products to customers.

For products other than these, we have temporarily disabled shipment creation. We are taking a similar approach with retail vendors.

This will be in effect today through April 5, 2020, and we will let you know once we resume regular operations. Shipments created before today will be received at fulfillment centers.

Please note Selling Partner Support does not have further guidance.

I would conclude that this includes print books (POD), but eBooks would still be instantly available.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

Hopefully this unique environment will not last long enough to develop new marketing techniques.

I pray this, too.

I have a promotion (through Kobo) starting tomorrow on one of my books. It'll be interesting to see if it generates any activity. I suspect no one will be in a reading mood just yet, as most are still focused on COVID-19 news. 

• Like 1

This was my idea for a book promotion on Facebook. You are welcome to copy it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

I have a promotion (through Kobo) starting tomorrow on one of my books. It'll be interesting to see if it generates any activity

Hope it truly surprises you and does exceedingly well! :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1