Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Johne

COVID-19 Poll

• Will your church be closed this weekend?
  • Will your church be closed next weekend? 

Our is open this weekend and will be closed, doing a streaming live worship service next weekend.

Ours is closed this Sunday. I don't know about the future Sundays.

• Like 1

Ours is closed. They have had a weekly TV service on Sunday mornings for years. And not too long ago, they added streaming to their website. This weekend, the streaming will go on Facebook, YouTube, and something else, which I can't remember. They haven't decided about next week yet. Our church has never been close in 50 years, even when there was two feet of snow. But I think they may be closed again next week.

• Like 1

Yes and yes. At least three weeks. But I live in California, a hotspot currently.

Yes for me as well, but my church is having online services. I do not know about next week, though I am guessing not. With schools also closed, I have no reason not to write! Indeed, if I do not boredom will ensue.  I hope to share progress that is promising.

I live on Long Island, in the New York Metropolitan Area.  Archbishop Timothy Dolan, head of the Archdiocese of New York, has canceled Masses in every Catholic Church in the Archdiocese.  People will be allowed to enter the Churches to pray.

Many other Churches of different Denominations are either canceling Worship services this Sunday, or cutting the number of services.  I normally attend the early, 9:30 Service at a local Non-Denominational Church.  Last evening I was informed that the 9:30 Service was canceled, but the one scheduled for 11:15, would be taking place. 

I was also informed that we senior citizens were requested to stay home, since we are the people most endangered by the coronavirus.  While I'm personally in good health, and in very good shape at 74 years old, I decided to accept that decision, and would be watching a televised Worship Service instead.

Now, after seeing the effect that the hysterical panic over the coronavirus has had on the Churches, I think I understand what's actually going on.

"The Devil made them do it!"

If that's so, then the time has come for some exorcisms; which should be taking place on Election Day.        

3 hours ago, William D'Andrea said:

Now, after seeing the effect that the hysterical panic over the coronavirus has had on the Churches, I think I understand what's actually going on.

"The Devil made them do it!"

Um,.. joke?

18 hours ago, Johne said:
  • Will your church be closed this weekend?
  • Will your church be closed next weekend? 

Our church (and most in our area) are closed to all group meetings. Services will be held via webcast until further notice.

28 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

Um,.. joke?

A serious statement, told in a joking tone.

When everything is being shut down and everyone separated over an extremely overexaggerated threat; it sounds like the people in charge might be following a demonic deception. 

Yes, and for the foreseeable future.  Special audio message in lieu of sermon today. (All sermons can be heard online.) Back to The Gospel of John next weekend, but only through audio. (Ha! This might talk a friend into coming online now. lol)

Then again, our church is ten years old, and there has not been a single day in the last ten years when at least one woman wasn't pregnant. It seems about half of the congregation is under three feet tall, and about half a dozen under two feet tall. Also, one of the toddlers in the church has been in the ICU three times in his young life from contagions that simply rarely happen once to any person, and, at least once, passed it on to 2-3 other little ones, so I do get why all the precautions.

Also, hubby is sick enough to be on oxygen 24/7, so I get the concern that way too, BUT we have that concern 24/7/365.25, so it annoys me now, because seriously? No one has ever learned how to wash their hands before? No one understands how viruses pass around? I expect this to be bad, but not as bad as the hype. And I also see the world going into recession within 2-3 months for the same reason it went into a recession after the Trade Center bombings. You don't stop business for three days without expecting a recession shortly afterwards. Quite a few businesses won't survive.

The first century Christians grew while Rome was hunting to destroy them all. If they got stuck watching us panic like this, what is their expression?

I'm in Philly. Here are our latest stats. (And I assume this is just a blip now. By the end of the week thousands of cases, but keep remembering that most don't die from it.) 

63 positive in the state.

6 in Philadelphia.

1.5 MILLION living in Philadelphia city/county.

Our church decided, (many meetings, and by consensus), one week ago today, to plant another church. (I see the two connected. Satan does not like what God is doing.) Our church was a church plant 10 years ago. God is STILL moving.

Right now our church is having only one Sunday service and Wednesday service. 

They have canceled all kids/ youth programs for three weeks.

I think you will end up closing the whole church for three weeks too.

I had the great good privilege of going to church with my dad, a whole continent away from me!  

Yep. Closed this Sunday and for the immediate future. I didn’t think this would happen, as our congregation is very small (less than fifty people) but it did. I find myself quite irrationally disappointed.