Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Accord64

Our New (Hopefully Short-term) Normal

67-og.gif.9843a4f80b310b435caa5aa10d1f5423.gif

Not intended as a criticism, but this seems to the trend with everything lately. I pray it stems the tide of the Corona virus, but it's giving everyone logistical headaches. I was at the grocery store this morning (as I normally would be) and it was mobbed. The good news was that everyone seemed in good spirits. No bad behavior and the store staff was handling the checkout process very efficiently.  It went much quicker that I thought while in a line that extended around the perimeter of the store.

So I think after an initial burst of panic shopping, and getting everyone to where they need to be (safely), things should calm down and the store shelves will fill back up. In the meantime, maybe we should all get some writing done? ;)

I pray the situation is playing out as calmly in others areas.

• Like 4

Our schools will be closed as of Monday. Churches are closed. Ours has never closed, even when we had two feet of snow. March Madness is no more. And many shelves are empty. But the worst was the fight between two women in Australia over toilet paper! One woman with a cart-full and the other wanted one package. And I thank there are other fights as well. The problem coming is businesses going under. I hope they can recover. It's crazy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lynnmosher said:

March Madness is no more.

438245166_giphy(47).gif.4d0ab4a15dcdc5b01c289d9c4e657776.gif

3 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Churches are closed. Ours has never closed, even when we had two feet of snow.

Ours will do a webcast service. Many others in the area are doing the same thing.

The panic buying in general seems to be in anticipation of a possible two-week quarantine (if infected). I tend to think stores will settle down after this weekend. People can only store so much toilet paper!  

LOL You're right! Having trouble stashing our latest package! And hopefully, things will settle down. Our church has had a local TV presence for several years but with the previous week's sermon. Not too long ago, they started streaming live. They've added Facebook live and YouTube. It doesn't panic me, though. I just hope we can get the things we need when we need them! :rolleyes:o_O:confused::D

I have occasionally watched Worship Services on television, when I've been stuck in the house during blizzards or other occasions, when traveling to Church would have been much too difficult or impossible. 

I've found that watching televised Worship Services on line does have some definite advantages.   I know exactly how long the Service will last, and exactly what time it will end.  I can relax and have breakfast while I watch.  I am able to adjust the volume to a comfortable level, and have an unobstructed view of everything.  Then when it comes time for collection of  the tithes and offerings, I just have to use my debit card, and click.

However, that also means I'm stuck in the house, without being able to get out into the fresh air and sunlight, and worst of all, there is no fellowship. 

1 hour ago, William D'Andrea said:

and worst of all, there is no fellowship. 

Fellowship.  That is what we are going to work very hard to preserve over the next months.  I know, I'm not very good at it. It feels like trying to emerge out the thin end of a balloon. But when we can, we need to have fellowship to survive. 

On 3/13/2020 at 4:23 PM, lynnmosher said:

But the worst was the fight between two women in Australia over toilet paper

On the note of toilet paper... 

IMG-20200314-WA0003.jpg.b4dfec43748e420ec199b51fbc852f36.jpg

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Nicola said:

we need to have fellowship to survive. 

Very true. This is the reason I haven't built a shack up the side of a nearly inaccessible mountain. I think that of the all the negative side effects of coronavirus, this is probably the worst

• Like 1

I just sent a message to all my students, canceling lessons (piano). I am heartbroken to lose their company for a little while. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Nicola said:

just sent a message to all my students, canceling lessons (piano). I am heartbroken to lose their company for a little while. 

Oh, I'm so sorry, Nicola. :(

• Like 1

Yesterday I also bought toilet paper; a pack of four Scott Paper Rolls.  Each containing 1000 Sheets.  On the package is the declaration "4 Rolls Last 4 Weeks".

I heard someone say, "Not in my house."

I figure that the number of printed Weeks depends.  It's relative.  By that I mean it depends how many relatives you've got visiting.

As for myself, I'm a single guy living alone, and the estimated time is accurate.  I already have two left over rolls in my bathroom, which means by adding the new package of four, I now have enough to last well into late April, when hopefully the crisis will be over.

Thank the Lord.

All there is for me is to write for the next five weeks with my school district closed! I have no excuse now lol.  Hopefully, a lot of sharing will be forthcoming. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CelticLady said:

All there is for me is to write for the next five weeks with my school district closed! I have no excuse now lol.  Hopefully, a lot of sharing will be forthcoming. 

Are you a teacher too? I’m in the same boat with the same plan! 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 1:11 AM, PenName said:

Are you a teacher too? I’m in the same boat with the same plan! 

No, just a long term substitute aide at the moment. :) 

• Like 1