Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Zee

beta reader Beta Reader for Romance Novella

I'm looking for beta readers for my romance novel, "Oxsana's." (Actually, I think it's technically a novella, as it's a little over 30,000 words.)

It's already been checked for spelling, grammar, and minor plot/character problems, so I'm most interested in getting feedback on the "big picture." 

I want to know if the story builds well on itself, if events follow in logical and increasingly interesting progression, what are the good bits, what are the boring bits, what scenes need cut, or added, or changed.

I'd like to hear where you got bored and put it down, where an interaction seemed unrealistic, where a character appeared wooden, where you read a scene and thought, "Why...?"

Essentially, does this story work, and if not, why not?

Thanks in advance for being willing to consider helping with this. 

Also, I'm ready to beta read in exchange if that sounds a good idea to anyone.

I😂

3 hours ago, Zee said:

I'm looking for beta readers for my romance novel, "Oxsana's." (Actually, I think it's technically a novella, as it's a little over 30,000 words.)

It's already been checked for spelling, grammar, and minor plot/character problems, so I'm most interested in getting feedback on the "big picture." 

I want to know if the story builds well on itself, if events follow in logical and increasingly interesting progression, what are the good bits, what are the boring bits, what scenes need cut, or added, or changed.

I'd like to hear where you got bored and put it down, where an interaction seemed unrealistic, where a character appeared wooden, where you read a scene and thought, "Why...?"

Essentially, does this story work, and if not, why not?

Thanks in advance for being willing to consider helping with this. 

Also, I'm ready to beta read in exchange if that sounds a good idea to anyone.

'm in.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

If you're up for a man to read your novella, I'm in!

Sure, I'd be happy for you to. I feel you have a very good sense of what works and what doesn't, and that is exactly what I want.

I will try to PM it to you and Shamrock both soon.

8 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

When would you be wanting feedback by? 

I second this, and also ask, what format you will be sharing it in. Plus, maybe you could tell us a little about your story. 

• Like 1

Sure! The basic plot involves two young people, Anna and Boris, getting to know each other and (if course) falling in love in the midst of considerable personal and political upheaval. Save the last chapter, which I'm about to share, the whole story has been posted in the Critique Forum.

I plan to share it via Private Message, in Open Office attachments. This was the method suggested to me by Shamrock, and it seems a good one. You should be able to write comments directly into the document.

Thanks so much for being willing to help me with it! I'm a new writer with a lot of learning to do. And nearly everything I know I've learned from the people here.

15 hours ago, quietspirit said:

Open Office,  I have forgotten what that is. Is it like Microsoft Office?

On 2/22/2020 at 12:43 AM, Claire Tucker said:

When would you be wanting feedback by? 

Open Office is the free program that comes by default with Microsoft computers, I believe.

And by the way, I forgot to say--there's no particular rush on getting back to me on this. So take your time, if you don't get around to it for a couple of months, no problem.

And if you start and then  decide you've got better things to do, that's fine too, just let me know.  I really appreciate your willingness to help.

😕 My computer doesn't let me access those types of files. Sorry, Zee. 

3 hours ago, Zee said:

there's no particular rush on getting back to me on this. So take your time, if you don't get around to it for a couple of months, no problem

Cool beans. I'll get back in touch with you when my current projects list clears up in a month or two and see if you still need extra eyes on your manuscript

2 hours ago, Alley said:

😕 My computer doesn't let me access those types of files. Sorry, Zee. 

Hmm, maybe there's another way to share it? My computer is the most basic of basic computers, so I don't have a lot of options.

32 minutes ago, Claire Tucker said:

Cool beans. I'll get back in touch with you when my current projects list clears up in a month or two and see if you still need extra eyes on your manuscript

Sounds good. Thanks! I can always use extra eyes.

Edited by Zee

7 minutes ago, Zee said:

Hmm, maybe there's another way to share it? My computer is the most basic of basic computers, so I don't have a lot of options.

I've got a Chromebook. It won't let me do anything except Google documents. 

On 2/24/2020 at 12:39 PM, Alley said:

I've got a Chromebook. It won't let me do anything except Google documents. 

After some experimentation, I realized I can share the entire text of my story in PM message.

So if you're still interested, and you don't mind receiving a very long message (which you'd then need to copy and paste) I'll send you the story.

Some other things that google docs allows you to do (which you may not want to do, but I wanted to mention it, in case it does help)  - you are able to publish the google document to the web - it creates a separate, independent url that you can then share with who you want and then whenever you wish you can go in and cancel the url. Not sure if it remains on the web or not, and there could be dangers there so you may not want to do that... I don't know much about security of that, but I have done that on occasion... Another thing you could do, is I know google docs allows you to share documents with other google account users - and it has three option in sharing - one is full edit, which you probably don't want, then it also has one option which just allows reading, and a third option where they can make comments but not edit. I've shared my documents with people successfully before using all three options, and have found them very helpful, but I don't know everything about it, so I'm also not sure how secure it is that way either but it seems pretty secure...  so you can take that with a grain of salt. They are options, I hope it helps...

Edited by Jared Williams

12 hours ago, Zee said:

So if you're still interested, and you don't mind receiving a very long message (which you'd then need to copy and paste) I'll send you the story.

🤔 I'm not sure if I can send it back through the PM. However, if you have a Gmail, I can copy it into a document and send you the link.

And as Jared said, there are lots of options. My favorite for Beta reads is they can comment, (that will show up beside the document not directly in it), and they can make edits suggestions. Then you can accept or reject the edit. No extra work for the write! 😃 

1 hour ago, Alley said:

🤔 I'm not sure if I can send it back through the PM. However, if you have a Gmail, I can copy it into a document and send you the link.

And as Jared said, there are lots of options. My favorite for Beta reads is they can comment, (that will show up beside the document not directly in it), and they can make edits suggestions. Then you can accept or reject the edit. No extra work for the write! 😃 

Ok. I'll PM it to you, and you can get it back to me however you like. I do have Gmail address.