Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
CAB1983

First time author- advice needed

As a mother, educator, and first time author, I’d like honest advice on publishers. I’d like a Christian publishing company. I’ve seen Covenant Publishing, Elm Hill,  Xulon Christian Publishing... it gets overwhelming. without spending a fortune what’s the best way to go? I appreciate honest advice! Thanks in advanced! 

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum! 

30 minutes ago, CAB1983 said:

it gets overwhelming. without spending a fortune what’s the best way to go? 

It certainly can. I would advise you to slow down and learn the ropes. This is a good place to do this.

First, getting published shouldn't cost you a fortune. If you want to be "traditionally" published (a publisher likes your book and you enter into a publishing contract), it shouldn't cost you anything. If a publisher offers you publishing packages, often costing thousands of dollars, they are considered "vanity publishers." Run away! 

Most reputable publishers don't want to deal with authors directly (except maybe some small presses). They want you to work through an agent. So you need to go through a process of finding an agent who is interested in your manuscript. This is a lot like looking for a job. You submit "queries" to agents who you think might be interested, and they will get back to you. This is often a long and complex process, and there's a lot to learn.

A newer option is to self-publish, or independently publish. This puts the agent and publisher responsibilities in your hands. Many retailers like Amazon will allow you to publish directly through them. It's up to you to do all the work to edit, create a book cover, publish, market, and track sales. This is also a long and complex process to learn, and not for everyone.

I gave you a very brief look at publishing options. Stick around and read through the many topics that have already been posted. Lots of free and valuable information here.     

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Hello and welcome! @Accord64 has given you some great advice. There are plenty of options to get your book published. Some good, others not so good. Jane Friedman has a blog which contains a lot of excellent information. I'd start with this article for an overview of the subject.

56 minutes ago, CAB1983 said:

I’ve seen Covenant Publishing, Elm Hill,  Xulon Christian Publishing

I would not use one of these companies, for reasons detailed here. The services they offer are often extremely overpriced.

• Thanks 1

Welcome, and congratulations on finishing your book! 🙂 

And Accord has done a wonderful job of explaining the options of publishing. Remember if you ever have questions or are unsure this community exists so we can help each other. Questions are always welcome. 😊 

Hello. While I don't have any advice to offer at this point, let me welcome you to ChristianWriters. There are a lot of great authors and advice given here. You might want to describe a little about yourself and more about your writing on the "Meet and Greet" section of this website. Best wishes!

Edited by Chuck Kralik

20 hours ago, Accord64 said:

It certainly can. I would advise you to slow down and learn the ropes. This is a good place to do this.

Welcome to CW CAB.

As @Accord64  said in the beginning. Slow down. In an ideal world we are all writing to get published. I would endorse the above statement. Learn your craft first. When you read a book by a published author, especially one you admire or even aspire to, the words on the page came seem easy to write but they are just the tip of the iceberg call 'hard graft'.  

You will find a lot of sound advice and support here and a mutual love for all things writing. Find your voice, your story and maybe post some of your work here for feedback.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 4:14 PM, Accord64 said:

Welcome to the forum! 

First, getting published shouldn't cost you a fortune. If you want to be "traditionally" published (a publisher likes your book and you enter into a publishing contract), it shouldn't cost you anything. If a publisher offers you publishing packages, often costing thousands of dollars, they are considered "vanity publishers." Run away! 

Most reputable publishers don't want to deal with authors directly (except maybe some small presses). They want you to work through an agent. So you need to go through a process of finding an agent who is interested in your manuscript. This is a lot like looking for a job. You submit "queries" to agents who you think might be interested, and they will get back to you. This is often a long and complex process, and there's a lot to learn.

A newer option is to self-publish, or independently publish. This puts the agent and publisher responsibilities in your hands. Many retailers like Amazon will allow you to publish directly through them. It's up to you to do all the work to edit, create a book cover, publish, market, and track sales. This is also a long and complex process to learn, and not for everyone.

I gave you a very brief look at publishing options. Stick around and read through the many topics that have already been posted. Lots of free and valuable information here.     

Thank you, @Accord64; this was helpful to me, also! 😁