Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Johne

How To Become A Great Writer

The Fiction Writing group on FB has over 100k members. Today someone asked how to be become a great writer. This is what I wrote.

First, read. Read widely and often. Read old stuff and new stuff. Read everything in your favorite genre. Learn from the masters. See what they did. Get the cadence for description and dialogue deep down into your bones.

Then - and ONLY then - worry about improving as a writer. In the meantime, bang out story after story. Make lots of mistakes. Work quickly, finish, set it aside, and start something new.

This is hard. There is no magic bullet. The only way to become great is a lot of hard, grinding work.

The good news is anyone can do this. The bad news is hardly anyone will.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Johne said:

The only way to become great is a lot of hard, grinding work.

I think that's what it takes to become good as well.

The good news: There is an easy way to become a great writer. All you need to do is discover that easy method and follow it. 

The bad news: To discover that easy method requires a lot of hard, grinding work.

• Haha 2

How do you become a great writer? It's simple. Hire a great publicist who will convince everyone that you're a great writer. :D

Sadly, that's happened. 

23 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Really?  Where do I sign up?

Did I mention it's really expensive? And it helps (a lot) if you're already famous.  🙄

Oh, and these might be used:

1_YJW_BJ4M7V_aXIWsuD07EQ.jpeg.1024dd2ea7db6adbe32fe4fb4d81e9e0.jpeg

Edited by Accord64