True story, Soul cannot reconcile, Help wanted

There was a time in my life when i thought all hope was gone.  I am certain the Lord softened my heart and when he did that, I became open to at least the possibility of hope.  I found it in a movie.

The more I try to write as a story teller, and not just telling something, the more I don't like spoilers.  Forgive me if I'm vague.  Or maybe I'm just being coy.

In the movie, the main character was also in a 'all hope is lost' situation.  He found hope, and with his God given talent, found a way out.  I didn't see my way out, but I thought maybe if I just try to hang in there, that might be enough.  The character in that movie, his story gave the the inspiration I needed to hold on to hope.  I can honestly say, a movie saved my life.

In a later movie, he died.  Even though he wasn't ever a real person, he really was my hero.  What else could you call someone who saved your life?  And now my hero is dead.  My mind knows he saved everything, so hanging in there was a great thing, but all my heart can feel is that he survived for nothing because he just died anyway.  I really don't know how to handle this.

Lost, since the support forum is for questions in regard to the site, I've moved this for you.

35 minutes ago, LostinFL said:

What else could you call someone who saved your life?  And now my hero is dead.  My mind knows he saved everything, so hanging in there was a great thing, but all my heart can feel is that he survived for nothing because he just died anyway.  I really don't know how to handle this.

What I call someone who saved my life is Jesus Christ, my Savior. Heroes in life are transitory, fleeting. Jesus is the only one who has saved everything. Jesus died to save us all. So just remember that those humans we look up to have clay feet and will leave this world. But Jesus, oh that precious Jesus, left this world to save it. But He lives...forever! And He waits for our hearts to be His. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Did your hero's life have purpose? For the sound of it, I think he did. Hope without purpose is pointless. I don't say that to be depressing, because I know that life has great purpose, for all God's creation. You've heard of the butterfly effect?  A flap of the butterfly wing creates a hurricane on the other side of the world... Perhaps not a real scientific example, but the principle remains that one simple action can reverberate through time in unimaginable, unmeasurable, and unseen ways. My grandfather took a girl ice skating, and if he hadn't I wouldn't be here. Thousands of choices that forever alter present reality, creating countless opportunities in unknown futures. 

If there is no purpose in life, then there is no hope, but if there is purpose, then there is great hope, and like @lynnmosher said, I believe our purpose, and thus our hope, can only come from the one who created us - and likewise the one who saved us - Jesus Christ. I actually just got done writing a blog on this very subject of human worth and value. Perhaps it will help, I truly hope it will. 

I truly believe that God created us for a purpose, and only in that purpose can we find hope, as well as any form of self-worth. I also believe that heaven is far better a place for us than this earth, but God will not allow us to die before our time. He has a purpose for us, and until the time in which that purpose is fulfilled - in the word's of Franklin Graham - "we're 'bulletproof'" - so to speak. As Paul once said, "To live is Christ, to die is gain." And I am convinced there is no better way to live. 

• Like 3

I'm not going to claim to understand everything you guys are saying, but at least I know the intent to help around here is genuine.  I don't have much of that where I come from, so from the bottom my heart, thank you.

Thank you for your help, I would love to hear as much as anyone has to say.  Also, I'll get around to reading everyone else's stuff, like the blog posted here, eventually.  It's just a massive undertaking.

I have a feeling that my heart is just going to feel the way its going to feel and I have to somehow come to terms with that.

• Like 2

@LostinFL I'm sorry you're having a hard time with this. 

2 hours ago, LostinFL said:

the Lord softened my heart and when he did that, I became open to at least the possibility of hope.  I found it in a movie.

In my humble opinion, it sounds like the Lord softened your heart, and then provided the movie for you because it was what you needed to see. 

The character in that movie, his story gave the the inspiration I needed to hold on to hope.  I can honestly say, a movie saved my life.

Again, my humble opinion, it was the Lord who provided that movie for you, he saved your life. If you can hold onto that, I think it will help. 

Keep reminding yourself God Loves You! No one can replace him as your hero. 

I love Maya Angelou. If you need some Godly inspiration, I suggest you listen to the entire Oprah/Angelou interview. I'll post a snippet here for you.

I have a feeling that my heart is just going to feel the way its going to feel and I have to somehow come to terms with that.

Yes, let your heart feel. Your feelings are very important. They do not create reality, but they are a very important part of you. The only thing I will encourage you with is that God's truth tends to have the effect of changing tears of sorrow into tears of peace. It may not take away the burden, the sorrow, or the troubles, but He will give you the strength you need to continue if you let Him. The hope is real, but it is the object of our hope that makes all the difference. 

• Like 2

Hey LostinFl, I have several heroes for my life, and it is a fine line to keep them in proper perspective.   This is because there are several things about each to speak to me.   Some of which I can adopt.    What these people were all about, as pointed out above, helps to give a balance.    Start with Messiah Jesus, for instance.   All of His Life points to Salvation, but there is indeed an overarching theme that keeps everything about Him united.  It is that He died for our sins, He resurrected, He ascended into Heaven, He is coming again to judge the living and the dead, and that He sits at the right hand of the Father now to make intercession for the saints.   Oh, I can be thrilled by His kindness, His wisdom, His love.   However, there are actual, historical and future things about Him that I must keep in-mind above all.  

About people?   Well, I had Nicolaus Zinzendorf, John Wesley, Watchman Nee, Dietrich Bonfhoeffer, Rich Mullins, Saint Patrick, and Dwight Moody in-mind, for starters.    Studying about them is staggering for me.   But, when you look for purpose, you see flawed yet willing servants.  

Hope that helps some.

• Like 1