Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
RockyMtn Gal

Elementals

Ok so next question.

My novel is based on an old myth with a race of powerful "elf-like" beings. These beings have limited powers including illusion etc.

Anyway, to the point. I was trying to avoid the elemental powers trope. I feel like it's nauseatingly overused. 

After a little more digging into the myth itself, I found that their powers, and even a few weapons, are rooted in the elements.

So, I've been wracking my poor brain to find a new way to re-introduce an old trope that won't have the reader thinking Elementals again? How original...😒. But have come up blank so far.

Any thoughts to help me jumpstart my processing on this would be most appreciated!

Edited by RockyMtn Gal

26 minutes ago, RockyMtn Gal said:

Ok so next question.

My novel is based on an old myth with a race of powerful "elf-like" beings. These beings have limited powers including illusion etc.

Anyway, to the point. I was trying to avoid the elemental powers trope. I feel like it's nauseatingly overused. 

After a little more digging into the myth itself, I found that their powers, and even a few weapons, are rooted in the elements.

So, I've been racking my poor brain to find a new way to re-introduce an old trope that won't have the reader thinking Elementals again? How original...😒. But have come up blank so far.

Any thoughts to help me jumpstart my processing on this would be most appreciated!

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with using that trope - it's just how you present it.  You may want to consider avoiding the word "elemental" when describing these powers and find something similar. Instead of a fire power (where an elf might blast a fireball or lava at someone) maybe call it "cleansing" i.e. like how a fire can clean away germs - a power that is incredibly potent and dangerous if misused - just like fire. Maybe it causes the elf's hands to glow red, and those that feel it, endure a burning sensation etc. Just a thought. :) 

3 hours ago, Rasman76 said:

maybe call it "cleansing" i.e. like how a fire can clean away germs - a power that is incredibly potent and dangerous if misused

I can definitely see this sort of idea for one of the characters. Thanks!

Unfortunately, the rest may not be so easily reimagined. One character is very closely associated with fire, and another with rivers.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:27 PM, RockyMtn Gal said:

After a little more digging into the myth itself, I found that their powers, and even a few weapons, are rooted in the elements

Could you provide a little more detail on this? My science-tutor brain immediately kicked into gear and had me thinking metals etc. similar to what Brandon Sanderson does with Mistborn. And now I'm battling to get my brain off that train of thought

2 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

Could you provide a little more detail on this?

Character wise, their are several associated with water-rivers in particular-and at least one directly with fire etc.

Weapons wise, there's a trident for starters. I dont know, but I assume the originals were bronze or iron. Otherwise, there's a sword of light and a spear that literally bursts into flame etc.

Edited by RockyMtn Gal

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.