Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Bob Leone

Ethical Dilemma. 

I have an ethical dilemma. 

A lady in my church is making T-shirts. So I got together with her to make some Human Beans T-shirts. The problem is that she does them in raised vinyl which cost a lot. So she is asking $25 for each t-shirt. So by the time I add shipping I am selling them for $29.95 just to break even.

There are places on the internet where I can get the t-shirts screen printed for $10 each. So if I add shipping it will be $15 per t-shirt.

My dilemma is since I already told her that I would buy t-shirts from her, would it be ethical to tell her that I might decide to go with the cheaper price guys?

?????

Sometimes it sounds like I missed the question, but give me some time and you'll figure how it is related.

I can't believe new books cost over $3.99. When I was first married, new books cost $1.99. But now they're between $12-$20 A POP! Who is nuts enough to pay those prices? 😵

Oh wait. A candy bar should only cost a quarter. A new car shouldn't cost more than $6,000. Oh yeah. I've become my grandparents when it comes to prices. 😳

I have to readjust my mind, because new books really are worth more than $10.

And, as a T-shirt connoisseur (from back in the days when rock-concert T-shirts could cost all the way up to $8), I do remember the vinyl ones lasted longer than the cheapo ones.

Consider this a marketing test. Have her print one for you and then buy one from online. I bet hers will last longer. AND, it's Made-in-America, so ethnically not a sweatshop venture.

Your Human Beans are the kind of illustrations that will require lots of emulsion. The transfer will come off quicker than the vinyl. But can you really judge which is better unless you're holding them in your hands?

And once you have judge, you know you can negotiate with her too, if you do bulk. And, if it doesn't work out, just be honest with her. I knew prices for stuff I made were stuck between no-one-will-pay-that-much and I'm-only-getting-paid-$.10 an hour, so it's not like we creatives don't know the math problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rebecca said:

Why not just speak with her about it directly?

I will. But, I was just looking for some input, maybe some direction before I speak with her. She is a church friend and the pastor's daughter-in-law so I have to tread lightly.

49 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

Consider this a marketing test. Have her print one for you and then buy one from online. I bet hers will last longer. AND, it's Made-in-America, so ethnically not a sweatshop venture.

Good idea. 

• Like 2

Just tell her, Bob, that's the best you can do.  But, if she can lower the pricing by just talking to her, maybe you should do that.  Like does she have to have $25?

But if that's her firm price and you can't sell them even at $29.95 without just breaking even, then I would just thank her for her time and go with the cheaper price. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is it possible to offer *two* versions of your shirt? If you offer both a "standard" screen printed version, and a "deluxe" raised vinyl version, then you're buying from her as promised, but giving customers a choice, and letting the market decide which is preferable. If hers don't sell as robustly as the less expensive version, she has the option of modifying her prices to be competitive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Wes B said:

Is it possible to offer *two* versions of your shirt?

Now that is a great proposal!!!!

Wow, why didn't I think of that. That's why I posted this thread in the first place. 

Thank you. Thank all of you, you have been a great help. 

• Like 4