Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
RockyMtn Gal

I thought word count onmy mattered in college.

Hi there!

Hoping to get some opinions.

I'm trying to decide what the target audience should be for my book, something I really didn't consider before I started writing. I also didn't know how important word count would be depending on the target audience.

It's a classical fantasy, but also with a real world historical setting--main character enters portal to another world trope. 

I was thinking I would shoot for the middle ground between YA and A (forgot what it was called).

Any tips? 

What should I consider when choosing a target audience?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I guess I do it backwards. I write the story I believe the Lord wants me to write. When I'm done I ask Him to show me the audience. He does all my marketing anyway. Like I said, that's a bit backwards I guess.

• Like 1

Word count matters when they budget for your book.  I know that for a fact.

Word selection also.  I'm pretty sure that YA audiences aren't going to be running to a dictionary for a page filled with large words.  That'll probably be a turnoff.

That being said, my wife works in the library in an elementary school.  She's telling me that fifth-graders are all into Lord of the Rings in her schools.  It's the latest fad.  So, that should say something.

I know that when I was a kid, if there was a takeaway from any book I read, it was a book that said "something."  I think that's why A Catcher in the Rye was (is?) so popular with disaffected youth.  It addressed the uncertainty of the future, and the desire for a simpler life.  I think, above all things, a message that aligns with the reader is more important than the character and the journey he or she takes.  Because, deep inside every kid, there is always an eye on what is to come, and the uncertainty of what the future holds.

• Like 3

Well, my aim is certainly more than plot and characters.

I'm trying to convey the destructiveness of jealousy and what true love actually looks like -romantic and agape-versus the current/historical trend of pushing sex and emotional highs. 

Just hoping I can do it well.

Any advice you, or others, can provide is most welcome!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.