Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
davidbergsland

Christian Fiction as a ministry

For nearly a decade now, I've felt a strong call to share the Christian Walk of Faith with my readers. Increasingly my belief is that for many, if not most, people who consider themselves Christian, the born-again faith walk is pure fantasy. What I mean is: the daily walk with Jesus, conversing with Him, observing miraculous interventions in your life regularly—usually more than once a day.

Now I'm not putting myself forward as anything special. My walk just seems to be very different from many of the people I talk with both inside and outside of the church. I'm not a rabid, Bible-thumping Jesus Freak—though that label has been used to cast aspersions on me. Yes, I'm Pentecostal, filled with the Spirit, tongue-talking, and all of that. But that's not so unusual any more, is it?

So, I've been working in that direction. I started with non-fiction because I just didn't grok the requirements of fiction. I'm not sure I do yet. I do know that as I've been writing my latest fantasy novel, I've regularly ended up in worship—simply praising the Lord for His love and wisdom. He gives me ideas that simply blow me away as they work out in the story.

It's enough so that my tagline for the book is now: When's the last time a novel led you into worship? I've read quite a few over the past decade. But they're still really rare. My concern is that it seems obvious that we're going to be headed for our wedding with Jesus soon. I want to bring as many people along with me as possible. Of course, only the Holy Spirit can bring that about. But I suspect you understand what I'm saying.

So, how is your ministry going? OR, is your writing only a means of income? But in that case, it might as well be a clean read—the so-called non-religious option. I'm just curious.

• Like 2

My novel, "They Don't Cast Shadows" is a supernatural romantic/adventure for Young Adults. It has a clear gospel message of salvation through Jesus Christ. I pray that one of my readers comes to know the Lord through it. 

• Like 2

Grammar is my worst subject, and my memory is infamously bad (my family calls me the absent-minded professor), so I truly believe that God's gift is the ONLY reason I am able to write at all. My books, a YA series, attempts to answer "If God is good and all powerful, why is there pain and evil in the world?" And I believe He has provided me an abundance of answers for my story to reveal. I believe the problem of pain is one of the greatest reasons people pull away, and I hope my book helps bring people to Jesus. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bob Leone said:

My novel, "They Don't Cast Shadows" is a supernatural romantic/adventure for Young Adults. It has a clear gospel message of salvation through Jesus Christ. I pray that one of my readers comes to know the Lord through it. 

Yup! That's the bottom line.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jared Williams said:

I believe He has provided me an abundance of answers for my story to reveal. I believe the problem of pain is one of the greatest reasons people pull away, and I hope my book helps bring people to Jesus. 

A worthy goal. I pray it works well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1