Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
HLTassin

BookBaby Query Letter Editing

Hey everyone,

I splurged and paid $50 for Bookbaby to "edit" my query letter. I figured I'd start small and see how it went since they offer a number of editing services.

I just rec'd the finished project and I'm a little baffled. While they offered a few impressive grammatical corrections, the overall formatting changes don't seem like what I've been taught via industry newsletters and websites. For example, they double spaced the query rather than single spaced.  They also insisted that the title and all character names should be in italics rather than capitalized. And lastly, they used a business letter format and inserted the recipient's name/address at the top. Since I usually email queries, that seems strange to me.

It looks professional, but it seems more like a business letter than a query letter. Or am I wrong and it's supposed to be double spaced, and titles and characters are supposed to be italicized rather than capitalized?

Thanks in advance!

A query letter is a business letter of sorts. And should be written that way. If going through the regular mail. However, I've never seen one double spaced. Titles should always be italicized. Will have to check on the character names.

Very strange. Some of the examples I saw did not italicize the title. Very weird. I found this link to Reedsy where there are three examples. No character names are capitalized or italicized anywhere that I could find.  Scroll down for the samples.