Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
BKHunter

Rewriting History -- Ottoman

Has anyone been watching Rise of Empires: Ottoman on Netflix? -- SPOILER WARNING--

I liked the show until the very end, when the conquering sultan goes into Constantinople right after the city falls and finds it almost empty. He goes into the magnificent Hagia Sophia cathedral and finds no one there, then muses how his new empire will begin, with this city (now renamed Istanbul) as its capital.

The reality was very different -- the city was plundered for three days, with some 30,000 inhabitants enslaved or deported, and most of the women raped. The cathedral was packed with women and children when the "liberators" arrived, with the doors barricaded. Once the doors were breached and the invading army was inside, the Byzantines were carted off and sold into slavery. Netflix completely skipped over all of this.

• Like 1

Wow.  I never knew that about the Ottoman Empire.  And I particularly don't like the way that Netflix skipped over it.  Remind me not to watch it.

• Like 1