Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Johne

Do You Have An Internal Monologue?

This is pretty interesting. Never really considered the possibility that the experience of thinking would vary between individuals. I personally experience what I suppose would be classified as internal monologue though this comes along with several layers of introspection. Basically I have surface level thinking, then valuation of what I am thinking, then review of the basis on which I am forming those valuations. 

• Like 2

I'm wondering if the way we think relates to the way we learn--auditory, visual, or hands-on. That would make an interesting study.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

I'm wondering if the way we think relates to the way we learn--auditory, visual, or hands-on. That would make an interesting study.

When I was in the US Army, they would teach everything in three steps. They would lecture, then show us (movies, slides, or demonstrations), and then we would hands on practice. That way almost everyone would understand. Lol, there was always a few that had to repeat until they got it.

Edited by Bob Leone

On 1/30/2020 at 5:47 PM, EBraten said:

I actually don't like it for the opposite reason. I have an internal monologue, and I don't want somebody else invading my head. When I read first person present, my thought process is like this:

Book Text: I fling the door open and rush into the room.

Me thinking in my head: No, I don't. I'm sitting in my armchair reading this book.

Book Text: I rush to Edward and cry, "My darling! I've missed you so much!"

Me thinking in my head: I do no such thing. Edward is an idiot and I'd never look twice at him.

I find myself arguing against what the narrator says because it's not me, and they're trying to make me feel like it is me. They're stealing my thought channels! :D

My kind of person. Hubby often has to remind me, "IJTV" because I complain out loud at what characters on TV do. 

IJTV? "It's Just Television."

Yeah, but seriously, why does every single woman scream the same scream when they see a dead body? (I'm an inhaler, not an exhaler.)

Now, imagine how I am with any first-person? And yet, I both loved and hated The Help. (More than one first-person POV. And nope, not per chapter. It changed during chapters too.)

But this also says something else. The reason I don't like second-person either. :$

• Like 2

I'm a bit of both. My internal dialogue isn't in complete sentences. It's sentence fragments that go along with images and sounds. The images can be clips or stills. And often I see the words themselves. (I remember people's names by how many letters there are. That's how Ben became Joe, and I confused Greg and Mike for so long. :$) The sounds can be my stylized voice,  (I keep thinking I hear me, but when I hear a recording of my voice, that's not the voice I know), or sound effects. 

Like I don't always think, "Stop!" I hear brakes squeal and wheels swerve. I don't think "morning." I see the sun rise above the trees across the street. (Makes no sense since they're west of me. 🙄)

On the fun side, since part of me does sound effects, two of my characters, (sort of like pets to the mentor), don't speak at all. They do visuals -- sound effects and pantomime. "Write what you know. Right?"☺️

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 10:39 PM, Johne said:

One writer friend thinks in images and it translates to actual text in her mind's eye - she doesn't think "I should go the fridge," she sees the image of a fridge in her head and the word 'fridge' displays in her mind's eye. Another woman thinks of numbers from one to twenty as gendered.

The whole idea of not having an internal monologue is new to me, and it's got me questioning the way I've been writing. I've been reading a lot about deep point of view lately, and I'm wondering how these different ways of thinking would play out in deep POV, especially since deep POV is really about putting the reader in the character's head.

I mean, it's one thing when my characters actually have an internal dialogue. That's basically words, so writing it isn't that hard. But how do you write those mental images? How do you turn those mental images into words that help the reader experience them as the mental images rather than words?

For those of you who don't think in words, do your characters ever have internal dialogue (if you use deep POV)? Do they think in images or abstract concepts? If so, how do you convey that to the reader? (I'm totally picturing a comic book with thought bubbles filled with pictures right now.)

Has anyone ever tried to give different characters in the same story (if 2 or more POVs) different thinking styles? 

Am I making this more complicated than it really is? Is this something that happens when you use sensory details to show rather than tell?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, yowordworm said:

Am I making this more complicated than it really is? Is this something that happens when you use sensory details to show rather than tell?

This is something I deal with in life, and it works for me in that sense, but I'm usually reacting in terms of known routine rather than forging a new thought trail. I think it would be rather more tricky (and less interesting) in fiction. Think of it as 'groanings too deep for words.' It may be a deep and wonderful state but it's rather less interesting in a story. 

For myself, when I'm thinking without words, it's just knowing things I've already learned. For instance, when I'm driving and approach a stop sign, I don't think 'look left, look right, look left,' I just do it. (My pastor thinks these directions in his head, 'left - right - left,' but that's the other end of an uninteresting spectrum, a mental tic which would quickly become vexing.)

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 11:33 AM, Accord64 said:

Crickets. All I hear are crickets.   🤪

It's tinnitus.

• Haha 2