Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Johne

Do You Have An Internal Monologue?

I've written to other writers that their inner monologue scenes weren't working for me. Turns out, I was the odd one.
https://ryanandrewlangdon.wordpress.com/2020/01/28/today-i-learned-that-not-everyone-has-an-internal-monologue-and-it-has-ruined-my-day/

All my life, I could hear my voice in my head and speak in full sentences as if I was talking out loud. I thought everyone experienced this, so I did not believe that it could be true at that time.

• Like 2

Schizophrenia.

I hear my thoughts in my head, but never a back and forth dialogue as if I were speaking to another person.

However, when I write, I can have a two way or ten way conversation as I am writing and or typing dialogue on the computer. 

A friend just wrote something which explains something that's always bugged me, and it's blowing my mind.

it also explains why some people (like me) dislike first person present tense POV’s, because it’s like being inside someone else’s internal monologue, which I find tiresome and fatiguing. Probably because my mind isn’t like that, so I’m not accustomed to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johne said:

t also explains why some people (like me) dislike first person present tense POV’s, because it’s like being inside someone else’s internal monologue, which I find tiresome and fatiguing. Probably because my mind isn’t like that, so I’m not accustomed to it.

Yes, that is me. Really don't like 1st person narrative. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shamrock said:

Really don't like 1st person narrative. 

I want to be clear, I adore First Person - I can't handle First Person Present Tense.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Johne said:

I can't handle First Person Present Tense.

With you there. The story has to be exceptional for me to persevere if it's written in first person present.

• Like 2

So would nonfiction present tense be any different? I think most of my parables or writing on Jesus' parable/stories are written in present tense. Makes you feel like you're there. So would that not appeal to you guys?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

So would that not appeal to you guys?

You mean like this?

"A man going on a journey calls his servants and entrusts to them his property. To one he gives five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he goes away. He who had received the five talents goes at once and trades with them, and he makes five talents more."

I don't like it. If it's written well, I already feel like I'm there. I don't need present tense to invoke that. It's just a preference, though. There are lots of people who like it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, EBraten said:

With you there. The story has to be exceptional for me to persevere if it's written in first person present.

I'm with you guys, too. I wrote a novel in first person, past tense, and I couldn't imagine doing it in present tense. It's just too awkward for me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

I think most of my parables or writing on Jesus' parable/stories are written in present tense. Makes you feel like you're there. So would that not appeal to you guys?

Yes, for the same reason as for fiction: "...because it’s like being inside someone else’s internal monologue, which I find tiresome and fatiguing. Probably because my mind isn’t like that, so I’m not accustomed to it."

If I rarely participate in internal monologue myself, listening to someone else's internal monologue is pretty much torment. But I admit I'm in the minority here, and I know it because the trend going in the opposite direction, so I'd set my opinion on this off to the side. I'm on the wrong side of this trend, and I know it. (But if you ever wondered why I say I hate Present Tense, this is why. It's just how I'm wired and I didn't know that until today.)

• Like 1

My internal thoughts are usually dialogue.  Like I'm planning a conversation which I might have with someone else.  It's also how I compose my writing; planning the dialogue between the story's characters.

• Like 1

As I tell my wife, I have no interior monologue going on at any time or any place.

(That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it...)

😀

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Johne said:

If I rarely participate in internal monologue myself, listening to someone else's internal monologue is pretty much torment.

I actually don't like it for the opposite reason. I have an internal monologue, and I don't want somebody else invading my head. When I read first person present, my thought process is like this:

Book Text: I fling the door open and rush into the room.

Me thinking in my head: No, I don't. I'm sitting in my armchair reading this book.

Book Text: I rush to Edward and cry, "My darling! I've missed you so much!"

Me thinking in my head: I do no such thing. Edward is an idiot and I'd never look twice at him.

I find myself arguing against what the narrator says because it's not me, and they're trying to make me feel like it is me. They're stealing my thought channels! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Actually, I never knew that there were people who had interior monologues until this topic came up as it related to Autism.

I've self-diagnosed as having Aspergers.  My son has it, and as it comes to personality, and how we think, we're clones.

I don't think in words.  I think in images, sounds, and so on.  My wife, on the other hand, thinks using words. 

Consequently, when I write, I take the image in my head and translate it with words.  I'll then read back the words imagining the voice of someone else (or actually say them), to listen to how they sound.  Hence the reason why I an really nit-picky with word order, but my sentence structure and grammar isn't that great.  And it is the reason why I am a horrible editor.

And hence the reason why my wife is a far better editor.

• Like 3

pristine experience, interior monologues?

Maybe I am just not getting what everyone is talking about? Every human being talks to themselves in there head. I am doing it right now as I think of what to say next. Or when I read silently . But, I do not carry on a two-way conversation within myself. That's like holding your right hand with your left, to stop your right hand from hitting yourself. If you have two personalities arguing in your head then I think that is called Schizophrenia.

4 hours ago, Bob Leone said:

Every human being talks to themselves in there head.

That's the point - we're saying not everyone does it, and it's mindblowing to see how many people think in so many different ways. One writer friend thinks in images and it translates to actual text in her mind's eye - she doesn't think "I should go the fridge," she sees the image of a fridge in her head and the word 'fridge' displays in her mind's eye. Another woman thinks of numbers from one to twenty as gendered. And so on.

I think almost exclusively in concepts, no vocalized words in my head. It's like driving a car or typing this sentence - I just know what I know. The one difference is dialogue. When I'm workshopping dialogue, I'll vocalize those interactions in my head, but that's about it. 

Same thing for reading - when I'm reading, I'll skim over the surface of the words, ingesting the story like a movie. If I start to vocalize the sentences in my head, it slows me WAY down and I have to stop it in order to get back into the groove of the story.

The point is, the way people think appears to be as individual as anything we do and it's a mistake to assume everyone thinks the same. I asked Linda how she thinks and she told me something about herself that I didn't know. After being married for 34 years, that's really rare.  Knowing this about people helps me to see them with fresh eyes, and to give even more grace when we're not quite communicating.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Johne said:

the way people think appears to be as individual as anything we do

I tend to think out loud, even when I'm alone. As a teacher, students often asked me who I was talking to walking down the hall. I explained that I was the only person who really listened to me!

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, carolinamtne said:
11 hours ago, Johne said:

I tend to think out loud,

Now-a-days people would hear you talking aloud and think you were on the phone with an earbud.