Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

Amazon changing reviews to ratings

I've been seeing this for over a year on my feed. 

Edited by Alley

Other than a change in terms, I don't see any real difference. I think they've always included both ratings and reviews in the total. 

Of course they always come up woefully short of any meaningful changes - like only allowing customers who have purchased the product to leave a rating/review. This would cut down on fake & predatory ratings.   

Just now, Accord64 said:

Of course they always come up woefully short of any meaningful changes - like only allowing customers who have purchased the product to leave a rating/review. This would cut down on fake & predatory ratings.   

Yep! 

I just noticed the first Amazon rating without a review on my book a couple of weeks ago. I'm not worried about it. At this point I'd be happy to have more reviews/ratings. 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Accord64 said:

I'm not sure about this. A lot of authors give complimentary copies of their books to reviewers. Many of them have built up their own ARC teams, while others use review services such as Booksprout, Hidden Gems, Net Galley and the like to distribute their books to reviewers. If Amazon were to restrict book reviews only to verified purchases, that would greatly restrict the ability of newer authors to get reviews.

Also, people who are bent on scamming would find a way around this loophole. I have an account on Upwork and it's been eye-opening. For example, I have seen people who will hire you to write a five-star review. They'll send you the money to buy the product so the review appears as verified.

So, such a move would hurt a lot of innocent vendors, while not actually doing that much to stop determined scammers.

On 1/28/2020 at 4:32 AM, EBraten said:

I'm not sure about this. A lot of authors give complimentary copies of their books to reviewers. Many of them have built up their own ARC teams, while others use review services such as Booksprout, Hidden Gems, Net Galley and the like to distribute their books to reviewers. If Amazon were to restrict book reviews only to verified purchases, that would greatly restrict the ability of newer authors to get reviews.

Agreed, and I wish Amazon would come up with something better. You'd think a company that's supposed to be a leader in web solutions (AWS) could stop rating/review manipulation in it's tracks. Yet by numerous accounts spanning many years, they can't seem to stem this ugly tide. This leaves many wondering if they simply lack the desire to do so. As if by some bizarre financial reasoning it's not cost effective to end it, once and for all. [/sarcasm].

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Accord64 said:

This leaves many wondering if they simply lack the desire to do so.

Indeed. It's baffled sharper brains than mine. David Gaughran's pieces on this topic are excellent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EBraten said:

David Gaughran's pieces on this topic are excellent.

I've read several of his articles on this and other Amazon shenanigans. 

• Like 1