Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

I get spouts of dizziness, since the 1980s. Usually they last for a day. Sometimes a couple of days. This one is lasting weeks. Last week, I was walking home and had to walk through an underpass. (Only for foot traffic, so we can get around a major highway in Philly.) It felt like threading a needle, because my body wanted to crash into the right side, so I was guiding through sheer willpower, rather than that give and take that keeps most people walking without thinking about walking.

Two nights ago it hit so badly, that it felt like I was in a blender and someone turned on the switch whenever I tried rolling over in my sleep. (Rude way to wake up.)

Yesterday I was supposed to be part of a ceremony to introduce new church members to the church. (My official "I'm a member now" celebration.) Instead, I spent the morning in the ER finding out I have vertigo. (Oh, and the last time I felt dizzy yesterday morning was when I reached down to grab my shoes to go to the ER. 🙄)

In this case, vertigo means "we don't know why you're dizzy, but we believe you." They want me to see a neurologist. I was already scheduled to see her in March. Just moved it up to February 3 -- a week from now. (And I'm hoping the dizziness doesn't end the original reason I wanted to see her. Something to hold off essential tremors. I'm getting to the point that signing my name isn't always possible.)

How not to feel like you're waking up in a blender while sleeping -- don't roll over. (My right side is sore now, because I didn't turn. BUT, at least I slept, long and well.) I don't usually bother going through all this effort because no one has ever helped it or found the cause. Prayers for that please.

If it's vertigo, I believe whatever form it takes can be treated. Praying the Lord intervenes and resolves this for you. 🧡

• Like 2

Praying. I have POTS, which is a neurological disorder. It runs in my family but it’s getting better. I’m dizzy a lot of the time so I understand. Hope it gets better soon. 

• Like 1

I don't know it you're on any kind of a diet, but I've just searched on the internet for nutritional treatments for vertigo.   I don't know how helpful this might be, but you might want to check it out:

https://www.welcomecure.com/diseases/vertigo/diet-and-nutrition

I pray that this will be a full blessing of healing for you, from the Lord.  In Jesus Name.  Amen.

• Like 1

I have a similar problem, though it is not as severe as yours.  My problems stem from allergies (they think).

I remember distinctly when it occurred.  I had taken a trip to Italy to work on a project for a former employer.  It's something like a 10 hour flight from the US, then then with layovers, customs, etc. you're usually talking about 15 - 18 hours in transit.  And my boss - who was travelling with me - is the type of guy who likes to go right to the site and start working.  Me?  I can't sleep on a plane, so one of these trips has me up and awake sometimes over 30 hours straight.

We get done, and go back to the hotel.  I get room service, get some sleep, and when I wake up: the world is twirling...bad.  Lying down or sitting in place is fine, but up and moving about?  I'm "lilting."

The upside - if you can call it that - was that my boss got the flu over night.  I went into the office, did my work, and cut out of their early while my boss got us an early flight back.  Ever since then, I've had "vertigo."  It comes seasonally.

My ears fill with fluid, and it is somehow related to having allergies - which I didn't know I had until this all happened.  I guess I'm just a bull, or stubborn, because according to my doctors the MRI I had taken indicated that I've had them for some time now (I never knew they could ascertain that from an MRI).

What happens is that seasons change, and my ears and sinuses fill with fluid, leaving me open for a inner ear infection.  Between the nasal spray and OTC allergy medicine, I'm able to control it.  However, when I am run down or get sick, the "twirly-spinnies" show up.  By and large, I've never had it as bad as it was when it first made itself known.  So I guess what I'm doing works.

It's concerning and annoying.  I figure if it actually gets bad, I'll go to an ear/nose/throat guy.

But prayers will be forthcoming.

• Like 1

Good news. I can roll over in my sleep again. 

Still get dizzy here and there, but if I can sleep, I tolerate better.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 3:35 PM, Jeff Potts said:

What happens is that seasons change, and my ears and sinuses fill with fluid, leaving me open for a inner ear infection.

I have had sinus and ear issues off and on my entire life. One time, I had vertigo so bad that I went down as we were decorating a classroom for VBS.  Lately, I have had Tinnutus, I was diagnosed with hearing loss a little over two years ago. In that intervening time, I have had at least four hearing tests. This past fall, I was misdiagnosed and spent several weeks doing a treatment that didn't relieve that issue. When I returned to the ENT, she said I had fluid in my one ear and she put a tube in, just like they do children.

14 hours ago, quietspirit said:

I have had sinus and ear issues off and on my entire life. One time, I had vertigo so bad that I went down as we were decorating a classroom for VBS.  Lately, I have had Tinnutus, I was diagnosed with hearing loss a little over two years ago. In that intervening time, I have had at least four hearing tests. This past fall, I was misdiagnosed and spent several weeks doing a treatment that didn't relieve that issue. When I returned to the ENT, she said I had fluid in my one ear and she put a tube in, just like they do children.

You know, I talked to my GP about having a tube put in, and he said that it is unlikely to fix anything.  Has having the tube put in made it any better?

I usually just deal with the issues, but last year and this year the condition has worsened dramatically.  I think it is because of the constant up and down of seasonal changes.

On 1/30/2020 at 11:31 AM, Jeff Potts said:

You know, I talked to my GP about having a tube put in, and he said that it is unlikely to fix anything. 

Have you asked to be referred to an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor? I believe they are referred to as ENTS.

6 hours ago, quietspirit said:

Have you asked to be referred to an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor? I believe they are referred to as ENTS.

Yep.  Haven't had time to go.  It's like most things in my life: unless it get serious, I just put up with it.  Right now I'm dealing with my eyes.  Because I need hand, eyes, and brain to make money, and those things are my priority.

Jeff, if there is fluid in your inner ear, it helps. Downside is, if there is a lot, you'll get dizzier before getting better. BUT you get better, and quickly. We adjust to the build up of fluids, so draining it makes the world turn sideways for about a day.

Today I'm going to see the neurologist. Could use prayers for three things now.

1. Original reason I was going to see her is because my essential tremors has become bad enough that writing my signature is hit or miss. (Sometimes can. Sometimes can't.) There are treatments, but the meds have side effects.

2. Dizzy is better/different/annoying/hard work. (Try worrying about ever step you take, and if you forget to worry, you might topple over.) Not as bad as 8 days ago, but it feels like if I could just take a step to the right, I'd finally be in sync with the rest of the world. (It doesn't work.)

3. For the first time in over four years we both have no doctor appointments for three whole weeks, AND for the first time in close to two decades we're planning on a mini vacation. Nervous the neurologist will have me get tests instead. And more nervous she won't ever figure out why, thus I'll be dizzy for my vacation.

Praying for all you need. May the Lord guide the doctor to find out the problem/s and have a solution. 🧡

I'm pretty sure she doesn't think I'm nuts(ier than I am.) Dizziness is still getting better, but now I don't trust my balance. And it shows. So I will be going to a PT to relearn balance. (I haven't trusted my balance for a while, so can't hurt.)

Bonus points that I can see PT once a week, so shouldn't affect our mini vacation at all.

My tremors have gotten better. I went to a lousy doctor a few years ago, who told me nothing can be done for essential tremors, and I accepted that as truth. (Also told me statins were poison, until he saw how bad my choleroestrol and triglycerides were without them. Then suddenly, they weren't poison.) So my tremors had gotten progressively worst to the point of signing my name wasn't something I could do most the time. In the four months it took me to find out something can be done for the tremors and seeing the one who could help me? Well, I can sign my name again. So, going to hold off doing anything until it gets bad again. 😏

Somewhere in finding out all about me, the subject of migraines came up. I had one migraine when I was young. From the time I was 20, until I was 22. That too has progressively gotten better over the years. I'm down to a 2-4 hour headaches two times a month up to five times a week, depending on the weather. She offered meds that helped with that, but I'm fine with aspirin. One of those moments when I can see God's long-term plan on teaching me patience and acceptance. Wow!

He's very determined to prepare me. 

Now looking forward to a mini vacation in two weeks. Thanks for orayers. Nice to feel connected to the rest of the world again.