Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
zx1ninja

Time to quit.

I suppose it depends on what you're considering quitting.

For example, if it's smoking, then reliable signs point to YESTERDAY. ;)

• Like 1

For me, it usually has to do with no-other-choice. That's how I quit stained-glass, drawing, and cross-stitch.

When it comes to finding out if the Lord really wanted me to do this, I tended to find out by trying and seeing if I could, or couldn't. (I cannot counsel people without guidance. I'm truly lousy at prison ministry. And, whew, he made it clear I was never to become a missionary to Haiti, over the course of 20 years of me worrying he might want me there. :$ But strangely, good at mercy ministry, and he definitely has me on the someone-needs-office-work-done ministry still.)

Now, if you're wondering whether to quit writing? I'll do that the same way I gave up drawing. (I really love to draw.) Only when there is no more choice. (BTW, in March I'm trying one last thing before deciding if it's time to give away my colored pencils. I do not give up easily.)

Did I help with your fairly-vague question? (I figure you don't want to give details, so I'd try and see if I was supposed to help here too.)

When I closed my site recently, I did so because it had become too much stress. The stress was getting too hard on my fibromyalgia. I also felt the Lord wanted me to call it quits. I had to follow through.

😱😭 Dont quit! Your one of the few in your genre I enjoy to read! 

Alright, got a number of things I'm considering. Some more important than others and that changes from day to day and item to item.  Was vague because I was looking for a general answer like @lynnmosher gave.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 3:01 PM, zx1ninja said:

What are the generally reliable signs that it's time to quit, anything? 

When  you don't love it any more.*

I used to get a rush writing code, and learning new stuff with computers.  I still get it from time to time, and in different ways, but that thrill of my mind going a million miles an hour on a problem is sorta gone.

Now I get it from writing.

I don't think I'll quit software any time soon, unless I make a million-gabazillion dollars writing.  But I know that feeling of being in the groove, and I like having it back again.

If you hate doing what you're doing, it's constant drudgery, and you get absolutely no enjoyment then stop.

* - This excludes marriage.

When you pray and have that peace, even if you're scared, it's time. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Alley said:

When you pray and have that peace, even if you're scared, it's time. 

Agreed!! 😊

I quit working full-time at 64.5.  Always thought I’d work till I dropped, at least until the U.S. make/break age of 66, Social Security-wise.  But, one day it struck me that if I had reasonable financial means to get along without working and it benefited others more that I stop than continue, then I should stop.   I finally began to look at my health as a maintenance issue and figured I’d save tread by stopping.  I prayed about and fought the idea for about 1.5 years, though.  Finally, it was like, okay Lord You win.  I reached a point where it was humbling to know I even had a choice; a lot of folks don’t even have that.

Edited by Ragamuffin_John

It depends. On cigarettes, my wife both agreed He directly ordered, "STOP!" In those cases, it was easy. I mean, it'd be sin to disobey. 

But many times, it on a "eemph" basis.  \In that case, the skills are still there to resurrect, if need be. But the bottom line for me is if He asks.