Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Johne

How To Help Young Aspiring Writers

I always assumed ELEMENTS OF STYLE was more of a guideline than a Bible. I read it, absorbed it, and then forgot it. Knowing those principles has informed my own writing style but I don't consult it as a source of absolute truth. 

I'm probably a dissenting view. I bought it years ago and it has been on the shelf forever. I don't like it. Could never find what I wanted in it. Have others I've used for reference. o_O

2 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

Have others I've used for reference

I don't have Elements of Style, but I'm curious. Lynn, what are some of the other you have used?

On 1/25/2020 at 6:15 PM, Johne said:

I always assumed ELEMENTS OF STYLE was more of a guideline than a Bible. I read it, absorbed it, and then forgot it. Knowing those principles has informed my own writing style but I don't consult it as a source of absolute truth. 

I am grammarly-challenged. I can pull off most grammar without looking like a basket-case, but only because I go by instinct. i.e. What I was taught in grammar school, but don't remember what I was taught.

But if you know grammar, I imagine you can see where I consistently make mistakes. They aren't "mistakes." I think I'm doing it right, so it's intentional. However, I cannot remember grammar rules because of all the exceptions and the subjectivity of them. And I'm bad enough at it that that is the reason I never became an English teacher. (I have the Communications/Sec. Ed. degree but never could be an English teacher. That bad.) So, I tried to study grammar guides as if they are the Bible.

And that's my problem. The Bible is always right. How do they expect us to understand grammar rules when there often isn't an always-right to it? That problem has just made it worse for me. And those two are the guys who proved that point to me.

23 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

I am grammarly-challenged. I can pull off most grammar without looking like a basket-case, but only because I go by instinct. i.e. What I was taught in grammar school, but don't remember what I was taught.

Same.