Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

I'll give an example from my WIP:

Cats. Clay Golem hates cats. He's allergic to them. (Not physically - he's animated blue clay. He's allergic to the /idea/ of cats.)

And of course, cats know this, and shower him with contrary affection, leaving him in a constant state of misery. ;) Dogs love him because they're dogs - cats love him out of sheer perversity.

• Haha 2

Snoot. He hates snooty. i.e. Anyone who thinks they are better.

Which brings about quite a few problems considering Steiff, Merrythought, OoaK, and Gunds are better than carnival-prizes and convenient-store stuffed animals. 😇

(Oh, he's a TY bear, his little brother is a convenient-store bear, and his buddy is a Gund. The Gund hasn't learned he's a little more special, so fairly safe.)

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

Hah!  Cats- really?  They're such lovable animals.

Cats are fine, but this isn't about the cat, it's about Clay.

Think about what makes for a pet peeve. One of the things that occurred to me is one aspect of the pet peeve is it is something that hits too close to home. I'm frequently irritated by people who do the exact thing I excuse from myself

Why is Clay allergic to the idea of cats? Clay is an outsider in a human world, an independent thinker, a gadfly to the society in which he finds himself in. He's allergic to the idea of cats because he, himself, is very feline in the way he resists love and makes his own rules in society. It's not that cats are bad or wrong, it's they unconsciously remind him too much of himself and he is repulsed by this aspect of himself. 

And because cats sense some kindred spirit, they warm to him even as he is repulsed by them, which just makes them love him more.

Which leaves him in misery.

Which they also love.

Because they're cats. ;)

image.png.68cbbf9e44aa1db50b46110f8ed84a00.png

• Haha 1

And I just had to look up "golem." Obviously my midwestern background did not contain any of these.

And I have read all your golem stories.

Edited by carolinamtne
  • Haha 1

Catherine Guinty doesn't like robots.  It's her pet peeve that people try to pass their robots off as themselves. Too bad she's dating a guy who needs to do that to get by. 

10 hours ago, Nicola said:

Catherine Guinty doesn't like robots.  It's her pet peeve that people try to pass their robots off as themselves. Too bad she's dating a guy who needs to do that to get by. 

Wow, that sounds... complicated.