Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Johne

other I Landed A Story Grid Editor For THE BLUE GOLEM

After a call on Tuesday night, I've hired my dream Story Grid editor to help me finish the manuscript for THE BLUE GOLEM and submit it to Story Grid Publishing for publication! She looked at my first chapter, liked the depth of my SG spreadsheet, and likes the premise and voice of the novel. She said she wanted to work with me, which is reassuring because she was my first choice among the SG editors! After I work with her, my plan is make the penultimate version available for Beta readers and then send to my Line Editor for a final scrub before turning it in the Story Grid.

SG Publishing is producing 18 non-fiction books this year and four fiction books. The first fiction book will be Tim Grahl's book THE THRESHING. I imagine the other three fiction slots will fill up quickly so I'm trying to turn this around as quickly as I can. I'm guessing it's /possible/ I might place the book for 2020 but it's more probable it will slide to 2021. We'll see how soon we can polish it up and get it approved.

It's all coming together!

• Like 3

Hallelujah! That's so awesome. I listened to Tim Grahl's webinar where he introduced Story Grid Publishing, and thought it sounds like a great option. Looking forward to hearing how you progress with the Blue Golem!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EBraten said:

I listened to Tim Grahl's webinar where he introduced Story Grid Publishing, and thought it sounds like a great option.

I was in Nashville when they first told Story Grid students about the upcoming launch and was VERY excited. Instead of self-publishing - which is an entirely viable publication strategy - I shifted my focus to being picked up by SG Publishing, and this is one more step closer to that. At the time of the announcement they had a mailing list of 30k writers and editors, which is a pretty good group to get my book in front of.

3 hours ago, Accord64 said:

Curious, what defines a "story grid" editor?

It's an editor who has completed Story Grid certification. 
https://storygrid.com/cert/
https://storygrid.com/editing/

Shawn Coyne wrote about how this all came about and his own process for analyzing stories:

When a manuscript that intrigues me arrives, I read it. I don’t take notes. I just read it. If I finish the entire book—twenty four times out of twenty-five, I’ll abandon it early on as the obvious work of an amateur—I will start to think seriously about its publishability. Does it work? Will it sell?

My editorial juices have started flowing now. Already I’m beginning to analyze and break down the manuscript’s narrative. My decades of experience are telling me where, more or less, the Story is working and where it is not.

So far my process is identical to that of every other professional editor. But now, at this stage, I’ll do something that no one else does.

I will run the manuscript through The Story Grid.

I’ll do this as deeply as necessary and as many times as necessary to identify the problems, to evolve suggested solutions, to hone the story and shape it and elevate it to the highest level of storytelling craft.

Over a twenty-five year career as an editor and independent publisher (as well as a writer, agent, and manager) I’ve used this method to bring hundreds of works from raw manuscripts into A-level published fiction and non-fiction. Books that I have edited and published have grossed more than a hundred and fifty million dollars in North America alone. But more importantly, these books have changed people. They’ve changed the lives of readers and they’ve revolutionized the lives of the writers who authored them.

The Story Grid is a tool. It’s a technique. It can’t make something out of nothing, but it can make something out of almost-something, out of not-quite-something, out of two-inches-away-from-something. And it can inspire a work from idea to first draft.

What The Story Grid offers is a way for you, the writer, to evaluate whether or not your Story is working at the level of a publishable professional. If it is, The Story Grid will make it even better. If it isn’t, The Story Grid will show you where and why it isn’t working—and how to fix what’s broken.

2 minutes ago, Johne said:

It's an editor who has completed Story Grid certification. 

Okay, so if I understand this correctly, this type of editor will help guide you in relation to the story grid process.  So (and I don't ask this to be critical) once this process is complete, would you then consider putting your manuscript in front of an (for lack of a better term) editor-at-large?

7 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

Okay, so if I understand this correctly, this type of editor will help guide you in relation to the story grid process.  So (and I don't ask this to be critical) once this process is complete, would you then consider putting your manuscript in front of an (for lack of a better term) editor-at-large?

Nod. After the SG editor gives me the packet of responses (and there are, like, five deliverables), I'll then make another round of edits based on her feedback, and then pass the novel through a healthy group of Beta readers, make another round of edits, and then finally give it to a Line Editor friend of mine.

After that I'll compile the final Story Grid spreadsheet and submit a package with my manuscript and all my SG worksheets and spreadsheets to SG Publishing for publication.

21 minutes ago, Johne said:

...and submit a package with my manuscript and all my SG worksheets and spreadsheets to SG Publishing for publication.

Ah, so your intention is to score a gig through someone who is looking for manuscripts that went through the SG process. Makes perfect sense, then.

My concern was that if you had intended to pitch your manuscript to agents (conventionally), then it would be to your benefit to find an editor (after the SG editor process) who isn't invested in any specific writing process. That way you have someone who isn't afraid to tell you if something didn't work, because they're only concerned about your manuscript, and not about any specific process it followed.

Sounds like you're dialed in to a specific path. Hope it goes well for you! 

2 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

Sounds like you're dialed in to a specific path. Hope it goes well for you! 

Yes - the endgame here is publication through SG Publishing, which I am told is a foregone conclusion if you learn the SG theory and apply SG principles to your work. They believe in the efficacy of their system and they're putting their money where their mouth is. SG has a mailing list of 30k writers and editors and getting a SG-published book in front of that audience is very attractive to me.

(Also, the SG breakdown of royalties where half of the proceeds go straight to the author.)

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.