Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Alley

Another dangerous challenge

Why? Just... Why!?! 

Edited by Alley
  • Like 1

There are lots of kids who just wanna make sparks (I won't describe some of the things we did in college, but we were engineering students, and both a little more creative, and a little more conscious of potential consequences...) Nowadays, in many places the kids can't even buy sparklers, so instead of giving them the opportunity to burn their fingies, they'll find ways to burn down entire buildings...

• Like 1

I can see how this would bring out the pyromaniac in kids, but the electrical angle makes it exceptionally dangerous (and destructive).

Also just saw a local news story about this - two kids tried this at their high school and caused a lot of electrical damage.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wes B said:

There are lots of kids who just wanna make sparks (I won't describe some of the things we did in college, but we were engineering students, and both a little more creative, and a little more conscious of potential consequences...) Nowadays, in many places the kids can't even buy sparklers, so instead of giving them the opportunity to burn their fingies, they'll find ways to burn down entire buildings...

My dad was as straight-laced and conservative as a father could get. A chemical engineer. He was also smart enough to skip a couple of grades in school, so he was in Syracuse U. when he was 16. (And before his teenage growth spurt, at first.) Two stories he was willing to tell about his college years.

-- Instead of studying for tests, he'd spend all night playing Bridge.

-- The toilets on three floors in the science building exploded from something he threw in them.

Could not get him to tell any of us what.

Then again, he knew us when we were kids, so I can't blame him at all. (Five kids spending all their money from one weekly allowance on gun caps can blow up a large can of coffee 3-4 stories high. Ten kids saving up for five weeks can blow up a metal garbage can half as high. Both projectiles were flat when they came back to earth. The corner store stopped selling gun caps that week.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If, by science building, he meant one that had a quantity of research labs in it, there was a fairly common student prank that might happen when the dry ice storage got inadvertently left unlocked. 

See, if they could shovel out a bucket or two of flushable chips & small pieces, a team could get the whole bunch flushed in less than a minute. Those toilets with the fast, lever-driven power-flush can keep a constant rush of water running, if one student holds the lever down constantly, while a couple more gradually get the chips down the drain. They produce a lot of gas, and can cause quite a "robust" backup in the system...

There was also a material called Calcium Carbide, used in miner's lamps that was also used by people who explored caves. If any cavers were around, they might have pointed them to a supply. When that gets wet, it releases a very flammable gas. They'd have probably had to work much faster to flush that, though.

I've not done either, but don't ask me how i know this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Remember the roaring Twenties when swallowing a goldfish was edgy?

I remember my youth, and I was chock full of "young and dumb."  Problem is that, these days, we expansive technology, and retractive parenting  that deepens that pool.

• Like 1

This is bonkers. So was Tide Pods. It never ends. Ugh.

Some teens are just dare devils at heart. They think it is fun to push the envelope and see what will happen if they do whatever they see on videos; back in the day, announcers on TV would say,"Kids, don't try this at home."  It's a good thing I listened. I would not have made it to adulthood. I might have endangered my life or my parents would have.

• Like 1

Just now, EClayRowe said:

Don't ask me how I know how easy it is to set off .22 rimfire ammunition without a firearm.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Yep. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EClayRowe said:

Don't ask me how I know how easy it is to set off .22 rimfire ammunition without a firearm.

But, make sure the casing is secure. Lol, they fly backwards. A lesson we learned as kids about Issac Newton's third law of motion: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction

• Like 1