Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Alley

Cover design company question

Has anyone tried, or knows someone who has used 100 covers? I have seen a few positive reviews from a few years ago, but nothing since. Do any of you have any information on this company? 

https://100covers.com/

Never heard of them, but judging by the covers in their gallery, they seem to know what they're doing.  But the real question is how well do the work with their customers? Not much info out there.

Don't be afraid to explore alternatives. Cover designers are numerous.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

Cover designers are numerous.  

And yet, I never know where to look. 😟

I use Canva.com. It's free, and you can get a subscription for extra features.

4 minutes ago, Alley said:

And yet, I never know where to look.

I wish I could be of more help. I've never used one because I currently designed my own.

It also doesn't help when designer sites come and go faster than the weather changes.

5 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

It also doesn't help when designer sites come and go faster than the weather changes

🙄 I know! And I'm one of those people who should not be allowed around any form of art, digital or otherwise! 😬 Tieing my shoes is questionable enough! 😄 

I was going to mention. Not everyone should do their own cover. It's probably the top draw to your book. ;)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

I was going to mention. Not everyone should do their own cover. It's probably the top draw to your book. ;)

Agreed! In fact, most people should leave it to the professionals. Not that I would be good at picking great cover from ok ones. I will need second options! 

16 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

I was going to mention. Not everyone should do their own cover. It's probably the top draw to your book.

Yes! Those who are considering DIY should think carefully before taking it on. It was a tough learning curve for me, and I'd still rather have a professional do it (if I could afford it). DIY covers are not for everyone.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Alley said:

Do any of you have any information on this company? 

I use them! They're great. They designed the cover for my second book, and I'm preparing to commission them again for my third.

Edited by EBraten
Typo
  • Thanks 1

Now that I'm leaning more and more to self-publishing, I can tell you the cover is more frightening than anything else I'm facing. (The story itself and the marketing.) The reasons probably don't occur to most writers, but I went to college to teach high school English, so took courses most don't take.

One was called "Layout." Although it was mostly for publishing the school yearbook, it covered creative writing journals too. (Think about it. Wasn't it always the English teacher in charge of the yearbook and creative writing clubs?)

I could usually pull off B's in my Communication courses without working too hard, but I had to work hard to pull a C for that course. Did you know there is logic for which way a profile faces on paper? Did you know there is a time to use sans fonts and time not to use them? Do you know which size the fonts should be? How about kerning? Not just left and right, but line to line. Which kind of font works for which kind of writing? What's the formula for adding illustrations to a page inside the book? Proportionally, where does the main object in the illustration fit in the illustration and proportionally for the typeset -- including title and author name?

Scary part is I can't answer most of those questions; however, I did have to know most of them for that course. And I know it all had to do with effectiveness of the book being made. I can tell which teachers did well in Layout by old Yearbooks and creative writing magazines I kept from my school days. 40+ years later, and I can tell which look professional.

I will find a business that does covers, but I'm also going to relearn how to make covers better. At least well enough to ask the person who wants to do my cover enough to find out if she knows what she's doing. I don't, so she, (or he), better. :$

8 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

At least well enough to ask the person who wants to do my cover enough to find out if she knows what she's doing. I don't, so she, (or he), better

I like this idea! 

That's a great recommendation, @EBraten! I really like your cover! 

• Thanks 1