Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

So, if you throw social medias such as Facebook out of the picture, where are some of the best places to market a self-published novella?

Pinterest!

Outside of that, you'd have to ask someone else about social media advice. 

• Like 1

Twitter is a little like shouting into the void, but a lot of writers are really successful on there. You have to find your niche and be active every day, basically.

"Authortube" and "Booktube" are informal areas of Youtube for authors and readers. 

Instragram is very popular of course, but I haven't tried it as an author.

• Like 1

I am no expert on social media (not even on social media, lol), but I have researched this just to get mentally prepared for when I will need to build a platform. Here's what I've learned:

Go where your readers are. You need to know who will want to read your book, as in age and gender and socioeconomic status etc. For example, Facebook and LinkedIn are 2 of the biggest social media platforms (if I remember correctly), but LinkedIn gets used mostly by professionals with Honors and Masters degrees and PhDs. So if you're not targeting the business world, don't waste time with LinkedIn. 

Each platform is good for different things. Pinterest is good for boosting sales, promoting giveaways, announcing launch dates and stuff like that. So, in my opinion, it is better to get onto Pinterest when you have a product (in this case, a book) to sell. 

You will need to research the various platforms, bearing in mind your reader profile (there are plenty of sites to help with this) and your current marketing goals. Just want to connect? Facebook could be a good bet. Got something to sell? Pinterest. But research this for yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2020 at 8:07 PM, Micaiah said:

So, if you throw social medias such as Facebook out of the picture, where are some of the best places to market a self-published novella?

Claire said it: Pinterest!

On 1/20/2020 at 8:07 PM, Micaiah said:

What's your novella about? Can't tell you where to market without knowing what is being marketed.

Outside of social media, you have print, radio, and television. And personal appearances.

This was the world of the "book tour." Local radio, television, small town newspapers. It helped if you had a hook, like cozy mysteries with a cooking detective or if you were an ex-con that wrote historical romances. Nevertheless there was air to fill and a need for copy to get the readers to the back pages where the ads lived.

Now, with social media, I can do an interview with a call-in show on my hometown public access station. Since  one of my projects is a near-future dystopia set in New England, I may be ridden out of town on a rail next time I visit my daughter and grandaughter, but they know how to spell my name.

Where you market depends on your target audience. Different audiences frequent different social media venues. For example, teens rarely use Facebook but are quite active on Snapchat and Instagram. Middle-age readers use Facebook almost exclusively. So, the first thing to do is to know your audience. Then seek out those places where your audience congregates.

Blessings,

MaryAnn

Edited by Rebecca
edited to remove links. Please see our advertising policy linked in the footer of the page.
  • Like 1