Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Johne

How I Feel About My Writing This Morning

I have the nagging feeling I've miscalculated the entire second half of my novel and may have to rewrite.

image.png.10dc5e059522295e1a51d19e81008c26.png

• Haha 5

My problem is genre-based. I'm writing a Thriller using THE AUTOMATIC DETECTIVE as a masterwork reference, however, after I pass the 'all-is-lost' moment my manuscript takes a sharp right turn and takes Clay off into the surrounding countries for the remainder of the Middle Build before returning to the city.

All of my scenes are turning correctly and I'm ramping up tension appropriately but I'm second-guessing myself wondering if I need to rewrite the Middle Build so all that stuff takes place in the metro area rather than out in the neighboring lands.

I hesitate to make a suggestion to you, because you are an excellent writer, and my idea will be time consuming and maybe time wasteful.

Have you written it in the surrounding countries yet? Have you outlined it? Maybe do an outline of each and see which feels better. (An outline would be less time consuming than writing it out.)

• Like 3

I'm feeling a little better tonight. The section I was unsure of is just two chapters. I think I can make the argument they serve a purpose and don't take Clay out of the environs of the city for overlong. We'll see. I have my first call with a Story Grid editor tomorrow night. I'll ask her what she thinks.

1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

A good night's sleep will often change our outlook on the world (and our writing).

Unfortunately for me, a good night's sleep is usually what causes me to discover all my bad writing.  :( 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Accord64 said:

Unfortunately for me, a good night's sleep is usually what causes me to discover all my bad writing.  :( 

laughingdog.gif

• Like 1

I had a really good day. I joined an editor's group and we reviewed each other's first chapters. They said the first chapter of THE BLUE GOLEM was really polished and a lot of fun. They wanted to read more!

And then after that call I jumped on a call with SG Editor Danielle Kiowski - she wants to work with me on my novel to prepare it for submission to Story Grid Publishing! I asked her about yesterday's panic attack about the Middle Build - she said it sounds like what I'm doing makes sense and flows well going into the Ending Payoff. Whew. I didn't want to rewrite yet again.

So I'm working through polishing up my fourth draft and then I'll send the manuscript to her for a deep scrub before opening it up to Beta readers. I have a busy winter ahead of me but hopefully the manuscript will be ship-shape in time for publication by Spring! After that, it's just a question of when they can slot it in.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Johne said:

I have a busy winter ahead of me but hopefully the manuscript will be ship-shape in time for publication by Spring! After that, it's just a question of when they can slot it in.

This deserves ... 

Cookies.png

• Like 2

On 1/20/2020 at 5:35 PM, Johne said:

My problem is genre-based. I'm writing a Thriller using THE AUTOMATIC DETECTIVE as a masterwork reference, however, after I pass the 'all-is-lost' moment my manuscript takes a sharp right turn and takes Clay off into the surrounding countries for the remainder of the Middle Build before returning to the city.

All of my scenes are turning correctly and I'm ramping up tension appropriately but I'm second-guessing myself wondering if I need to rewrite the Middle Build so all that stuff takes place in the metro area rather than out in the neighboring lands.

Not an expert on detective nor thriller novels. (Not even a first grader in the genres.) But, hoping to throw out some ideas to get you thinking. Do not confuse this with expert device, or even novice advice. I just know sometimes someone else's ideas partially gets me off my I'm-stuck, and gets me going again.

I've run into a number of writers and a number of stories that play off The Wizard of Oz. Truthfully, I rarely notice, until someone tells me. But it also makes me wonder what would happen if they start off like Oz, but deviate completely off course after they meet the Cowardly Lion. Would that rock most readers to their core? Would it be different with readers who do catch on, but not to readers as naive as me? Would it feel different, even if no one caught on? (Honestly don't know.) Likewise, does yours need to be like The Automatic Detective?

I based my series on the Hero's Journey, and yet, I've got no problems jumping off point from Campbell's different aspects. It was a starting point for a large story. Now it's my story. Does that work for you? (Better yet, give you a completely different idea.)

• Like 1