Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Accord64

ReadersMagnet

It's a balmy 15 degrees outside and I'm staying toasty-warm while watching an episode of The Expanse (an enthralling Sci-Fi series). The phone rings and the screen ID says it's ReadersMagnet. Nomorobo fails to kill the call after the first ring, so I let it go voicemail - because Nomorobo sometimes misses spam calls. But that name, ReadersMagnet, made me curious enough to pause the episode and listen to the message.

What luck! After an awkward pause that left me listening to a busy telemarketing background, a ReadersMagnet operator explained (read) how one of my books was recommended to them by a "book scout." This caused them great joy to contact me in order to line up a coveted spot at the upcoming Tucson book fair. He sounded so excited over the opportunity that he could hardly complete a sentence without tripping over his broken English. So now I'm floating on high hopes as I reach for my phone to call them back. Somebody important noticed me! They think my book is good! I've finally arrived as a best-selling author because I'm going sell millions of copies!

Okay, that was a wee bit sarcasm, in case you couldn't tell. 😉 But beware, these types of scams are all over the place. Some are easier to identify than others. Typically, if someone contacts you out of the blue, it's usually too good to be true.    

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

I think you should have a conversation with nomorobo.

Kinda hard to complain about something that's free. They actually do a pretty good job of screening out telemarketers, but the threat always evolves. I think we need to compel telephone companies to get serious about stopping them, not third party apps. But that's another issue. :| 

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 1

My phone knows that I write, but it hasn't figured out I don't have anything ready to send out into the world!

• Like 1

Sounds like a call I get from tech recruiters.

Except when they get you into the interview, the salary expectations suddenly drop 25% from your asking price.

Don't even get me started with the guys who call from "Microsoft Support" telling me they need to get into my computer to "fix" things...

• Like 1